We are pleased to inform you that we have decided to make the Alpha 3.1 build of Houdini Engine V2 for Unreal Engine public.
We saw a comment on the forum by the user that goes by the alias FFD, who suggested we start the Beta just in time for the Houdini GameJam to make use of the large number of users using the plugin and therefore help us test it out. We are not quite ready yet for Beta, but we think enabling users to try the Alpha 3.1 would be immensely beneficial to both SideFX and its community. We therefore invite you to try the new plugin for the GameJam!
You can expect some big enhancements to UX, Features and Usability of the plugin. Find the Github link below for a full list of features in the Alpha. Please note that this build is not yet representative of the Beta and Final release we plan on revealing more about in the future.
Some key features in the Alpha we want to highlight:
- New and redesigned core architecture, more modular and lightweight
- Operations like cut and paste, move between level, duplicate etc have been rewritten to ensure stability of the plugin.
- Static Mesh creation time has been optimized and now uses Mesh Descriptions.
- World composition support
- Ability to create foliage instances directly without baking
- World inputs can now read data from BSP brushes.
- World inputs can now import data from all supported input objects
- World inputs can now import data from an actor placed in a different level than the Houdini Asset Actor's
- A single curve input can now create and import any number of curves.
- HDA parameters and inputs editing now support multi-selection.
- Brand new UI, including improved support for several types of parameters including folders.
- PDG Asset Link support.
- Session Sync support.
We have also recorded a video to show you how to install the plugin in your GameJam project:
We would also like to request from you, the community, to report any issues, questions or concerns on this forum post.
Download: https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal-v2/releases [github.com]