Houdini Engine for Unreal - Version 2

16635   68   30
Staff
409 posts
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, version 2 has been keeping me pretty busy lately.

@briankulig: As DASD mentioned, you won't be able to use one instancer / ISMC and set different materials/material parameters per instance,
since that is a limitation on the ue4 side.

If you use the split_instance attributes and get a MeshSplitInstancer, that creates individual SMC instead of instances, then yes, in version 2
it is possible to set the unreal_material attributes per point.

@erwin: Thanks for the feedback! version 2 has indeed a few improvements with curves.

#1. this has been fixed in v2

#2/#3 would probably be similar. We have an RFE planned to be able to draw a curve like in Houdini.
So clicking would place new points (extending the curve) using a ray intersection.
The raycast could use geometry/default plane if no intersection is found.
Currently this will likely be worked on after the v2 release though.

#4 is already in v2. If you alt-click on the curve, it will insert a new point in the middle, where the mouse click was located.

#5 and #6 are good RFEs, and should be easy to implement.

Thanks for the feedback!
7 posts
dpernuit
#2/#3 would probably be similar. We have an RFE planned to be able to draw a curve like in Houdini.
So clicking would place new points (extending the curve) using a ray intersection.
The raycast could use geometry/default plane if no intersection is found.
Currently this will likely be worked on after the v2 release though.

I would rate this as a pretty high priority personally.

Rapid curve control is what makes a lot of tools work seamlessly in Houdini but hard to use in the Houdini Engine.
Until Python viewstates are able to be used in the UE4 implementation, curves are one of the only ways to control a tool interactively in the viewport.

The ability to spawn or move a curve point under the mouse cursor is especially useful.
For example when working with terrain or complex geometry, avoiding the need to have to drag with the transform widget all the time, rotate your camera, etc.

dpernuit
it is possible to set the unreal_material attributes per point.

On another note, will it be possible to set variables to blueprints instanced by Houdini in V2 ?
Edited by Erwin Heyms - May 13, 2020 04:04:20
25 posts
@dpernuit Awesome. Thanks for following up!
1 posts
Integration with UE4's new built-in lidar point cloud actors! Please!

They should be translated to a lidar point cloud in Houdini, and if output is included in generated meshes, this output should be of the same lidar point cloud actor type.
65 posts
It would be great to have some sample HDAs for the different supported workflows. Being able to look at a working HDA for a workflow would make it so much easier for users to get started.

Static Meshes
Collision
Destruction
Materials
Niagra
etc…
6 posts
Hi~
@dpernuit
There is a problem:
When I push up or down the landscape In UE4,the original foliage will always fit the height with landscape.
But folage that baked with H-Eninge seams to lost the link of the landscape.
How should I deal with this problem,Or is it possible to be fixed in V2.
3 posts
June…I hope to release v2 this month
144 posts
aboutvrp
June…I hope to release v2 this month
Me, too. But it seems like we need to wait a little more time.
1 posts
Since UE4 supports strand based hair now, could you implement some sort of simple to use bridge for grooms into v2 aswell?
I don't mean grooming right in UE4 but maybe an automated export and import from Houdini to UE4?
Anything that makes the Houdini <-> UE4 workflow easier is greatly appreciated.
  • Quick Links