Best beginner tutorials using Houdini for games?

1320   4   0
4 posts
Hello, Everyone.

I am relatively new to Houdini coming from using 3ds Max. So far I really enjoy the procedural aspects and power behind Houdini, but as I begin to learn something I learn best by having a tutorial that allows for actual application to what they are teaching and in this case I am looking to learn Houdini for games.

So far the tutorials that I have found seemed promising until they either don't explain the entire process and rather just tell you what they are doing or they cut content that makes it hard to follow along. For example after following along with the destruction tutorial for games (great tutorial btw) after completing the work in Houdini in order to create the destruction they bring it into unreal engine 4, but then don't show or explain how to set up the materials and textures in order to have it actually work.

What tutorials are best that have a practical work flow and explanations throughout the entire tutorial and are geared towards learning Houdini for video games?

Thank you.
340 posts
I think the Varomix tutorials (lamp project) are the best way of transitioning from some other 3D program to Houdini. People often want to pick up Houdini for destruction, fluids, smoke, or particles and skip over the basics - which is generally a mistake. The Hipflask tutorials are probably the best to get a thorough knowledge of the interface and Houdini terms and techniques, but will take longer to get into actually doing a project than the Mix tutorials. After learning the basics, it is good to pick up real procedural workflows, and Dalvi, Entagma, and others do a good job with these. For FX, Udemy is good.
Edited by Island - Sept. 1, 2020 18:51:55
4 posts
Thank you for the suggestions! I shall check them out.
320 posts
this is a modeling tutorial for beginers and he imports it into Unity. it is well done and he explains as he goes along.
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/vehicle-modeling-scifi-dropship/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by bobc4d - Aug. 29, 2020 17:27:53
4 posts
Hey, Bob. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.
  • Quick Links