Light Expression Help with refractions

4356   6   0
948 posts
I am trying to get a direct refract through LPEs.

I did get the whole refraction result with:

C<TG>.*

Can anyone help me to just the direct refraction?

Thanks.
Edited by mzigaib - Sept. 23, 2020 17:28:26
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
948 posts
Actually I would like like to understand to how to split it in to direct and indirect refraction.

Thanks.
Staff
418 posts
Hi. The distinction between direct and indirect is the number of scattering events. If there's only one between the camera and the light, then it's direct. If there's more, then it's indirect.

So, direct refraction could be:
C<TG>L

Indirect refraction:
C<TG>.+L

You could substitute [LO]for Lif you want to count emissive objects as lights.
8507 posts
should be something like this
direct -> lpe:C<TG>L
indirect -> lpe:C<TG>.+L
combined -> lpe:C<TG>.*

EDIT:a bit too late to the party
Edited by tamte - Sept. 24, 2020 16:16:27
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
7727 posts
dlee
Hi. The distinction between direct and indirect is the number of scattering events. If there's only one between the camera and the light, then it's direct. If there's more, then it's indirect.

So, direct refraction could be:
C<TG>L

Indirect refraction:
C<TG>.+L

You could substitute [LO]for Lif you want to count emissive objects as lights.

Closed form solids are unlikely to have any direct refract events reach the camera. I've found a good substitute for ‘direct’ scatter in the pathtracer's definition is for direct from an artist's perspective. Where the path is defined as a ray that interacts with the refractive surfaces only before reaching a light source. This way light coming through a window or glints in a rain drop would be described by this event. The question is, do you also put internal reflections in this bucket? As gemstone ‘fire’ is more of an internal reflection that's transmitted back through, i.e. TRT, or TRRT etc.
948 posts
Dudes! Thank you very much for the feedback.

That seems to work but it seems that mantra works differently in the direct refraction I don't get the blueish color that I have in my interior volume and speculars are a little different even using the same shader and lighting but I think that is normal.

Anyway thanks again for the help.
8507 posts
jsmack
I've found a good substitute for ‘direct’ scatter in the pathtracer's definition is for direct from an artist's perspective. Where the path is defined as a ray that interacts with the refractive surfaces only before reaching a light source.
so you mean something like
lpe:C<TG>+L
how would you define the complementary lightpaths starting with single <TG> event? To me it sounds like that any path that after first <TG> event has any non <TG> event and then zero or more of anything until it reaches the light. Tried
lpe:C<TG>[^<TG>].*L
, but that's not the correct syntax, what would be the correct way to describe it?

EDIT: embedded lpes as code as they were not showing correctly
Edited by tamte - Sept. 25, 2020 11:37:48
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links