Killed my UE4 Plugin

3842   9   2
30 posts
It looks like I have killed my Working Houdini Engine 4.25 v2 Plugin.

I have installed the new Houdini 18.5 Version with the Houdini Engine enabled on install. I have also deinstalled the 18.0 version.

Unreal starts without an Error but my HDA don’t update or loads if I pull it into the editor.

I tried to revert it with installing the old version again but it wasn’t working either.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Did you manually copy the v2 plugin from the H18.5.351 install folder?
Since H18.5 ships with both Version1 AND Version2, we don't copy the plugin automatically in the installer.
Selecting Unreal during the install just make sure that the plugin files are copied in the “Houdini18.5.351/engine” folder

Another thing you might want to check, there seem to be a bug in H18.5.351 that prevents the plugin from automatically detecting the Houdini install folder.

To fix it, you can go in the plugin settings, and manually set the Houdini Location:
- Enable use custom Houdini Location
- Select your Houdini18.5.351/bin folder

Restart Unreal, and you should be good to go.
Edited by dpernuit - Oct. 20, 2020 19:40:02

Attachments:
Unreal-H185351.PNG (7.3 KB)

30 posts
Thanks, manually copying the plugin from the installation folder helped.

BTW, does it also work with 4.26?
15 posts
Hello, I've got similar problem but unfortunately in my case copying plugin didn't help.
For some reason Unreal keep asking for previous version.
Also when I try to reinitialize HE I've got this error:
LogHoudiniEngine: Starting up the Houdini Engine API module failed: build and running versions do not match.
LogHoudiniEngine: Defined version: 3.3.api:5 vs Running version: 3.5.api:0
Staff
534 posts
@Gomo: Did you copy the plugin that is in the engine folder in your Houdini install? or the beta release on git?
As indicated, the beta release is linked with H18.0.597.

Looks like you're using the H18.0 v2 plugin with H18.5 somehow
15 posts
I've copied from engine folder: Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.5.351\engine\unreal\4.25-v2
15 posts
OK - It was my mistake, I assumed that when I change folder name it wouldn't fine old plugin but it did, when I removed it the new version kicked in.
Edited by Gomo - Oct. 23, 2020 16:22:12
5 posts
ChrisGG
Thanks, manually copying the plugin from the installation folder helped.

BTW, does it also work with 4.26?

I'm trying to build 4.26 from master source and the Houdini V2 plugin is also giving me issues. Anybody had success getting this up in running 4.26?
19 posts
Hi guys, im having the same issue.
Trying to install 4.26 houdini engine for UE4 from github (houdini18.5-4.26 binary build) following these instructions from the github installation:

Installing the plugin
Download the pre-built binaries of the plugin in the "Releases" section of this repository.

Extract the "HoudiniEngine" folder in the release to the "Plugins/Runtime" folder of Unreal. You can install the plugin either directly in the engine folder (in "Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine") or in your project folder (in "Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine").

Start Unreal Engine, open the Plug-ins menu and make sure to enable the HoudiniEngine v2 plug-in (in the Rendering section). Restart UE4 if you had to enable it.

.....and gettting the following error when launching UE 4.26:

Any ideas?

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-12-17 130114.jpg (17.0 KB)

3 posts
inversionstudio
Hi guys, im having the same issue.
Trying to install 4.26 houdini engine for UE4 from github (houdini18.5-4.26 binary build) following these instructions from the github installation:

Installing the plugin
Download the pre-built binaries of the plugin in the "Releases" section of this repository.

Extract the "HoudiniEngine" folder in the release to the "Plugins/Runtime" folder of Unreal. You can install the plugin either directly in the engine folder (in "Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine") or in your project folder (in "Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine").

Start Unreal Engine, open the Plug-ins menu and make sure to enable the HoudiniEngine v2 plug-in (in the Rendering section). Restart UE4 if you had to enable it.

.....and gettting the following error when launching UE 4.26:

Image Not Found

Any ideas?

I had the same problem. You need to update Visual Studio. Try to download Visual Studio 2019. There you can update C++ by choosing from the list "unreal engine" and "Windows 10 SDK". After that move the plugin to your project folder and run the project. Then the engine will ask you to build the missing folders for you, all you need is just to click yes. This worked for me.

To be honest some features that worked in previous build 4.25 are not working in the new one, 4.26. I am still trying to figure it out. My advice to you will be, make a copy of your project before converting it to the newest version.
  • Quick Links