shapes shapes shapes

7575   12   3
17 posts
How do i make meshes of hands/torsos/etc.?I have so far done grids, tubes spheres and boxes and its getting kinda annoying. Do i just shape two grids and merge them?

:roll: this is like the 5th post in 2 days
Staff
3455 posts
go through some of the videos here:
http://odforce.net/downloads/videos/v6/ [odforce.net]

there are some modeling ones…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
17 posts
great….i have dial-up, not the best thing for videos!

I forgot to add that i have used curves, but that isn't useful for what i'm doing, because i want the curves to be rounded. I don't want to use that many tubes! how can i round it?
Staff
3455 posts
do a google search for “box modeling”
you'll get stuff like this:
http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorials/html_tutorials/user_tutorials/box_modeling_dinosaur/page_1/ [nevercenter.com]

then just start playing around with Houdini's poly tools…
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
17 posts
*sigh* im not very versed with polys. Any quick tips?
Staff
3455 posts
haha…
no
I'm a terrible modeler…. :?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
17 posts
*sigh* i'll ask someone else than. :wink:
Staff
2540 posts
This is a huge topic. There are so many ways to model creatures.

Almost all modellers start with a box (sub'ed once to form a sphere) and work the character outwards. Check out Bay Raitt's web site for some inspiration:
http://cube.phlatt.net/home/spiraloid/ [cube.phlatt.net]

There seems to be a consistent topology with the better creature models I have seen. Check out the Tweak Modellling Forum and study the wireframes.
http://www.tweakcg.com/forum/ [tweakcg.com]
There's at least one school like the old school!
17 posts
soooo…is that top one a step-by-step guide somewhere? cuz that's what i need… :? And i know the works of modeling, just don't know how to work the Poly modeling commands…

can't find them on TweakCG either…

i need TUTORIALS, not wireframes to study, sorry i didn't make that clear enough(:?
17 posts
i need tutorials mainly, on how to work the poly mechanisms. I need to make things like creatures…Games are mainly reason. Goblins, humans, even background graphics/practice items like rabbits and such.

Just to narrow it down a bit more :\
68 posts
Zopiac
i need tutorials mainly, on how to work the poly mechanisms. I need to make things like creatures…Games are mainly reason. Goblins, humans, even background graphics/practice items like rabbits and such.

dude, houdini isn't the program you should be using as your first 3d program if you want to get into modeling. I would suggest trying a free 3d modeling program like wings3d or trying maya's personal learning edition, it's free as well.
17 posts
:x well sooooooryyyyy!!! i have Dial-up so i can't download that stuff! at least i have this, so i'm gonna use it! :x
537 posts
even on dialup a lot of these videos are worth looking at, just make sure you have a re-startable downloader.

I've found tutorials are great for the technical specifics but don't normally give a very good sense for overall workflow; maybe look at the tutorials that acutally come with whatever software you end up trying to use.

For basics video tutorials, try wikivid.com … they've got all kinds of video tutorials, we've also verified on the autodesk forum that these are indeed posted legally (at least the lynda ones).

In terms of what program to use for modeling I would think it wouldn't matter so much because on this level it's just very important to understand the basics. To be very proficient in modeling takes a while.
  • Quick Links