Karma Shadow Matte

19387   53   7
10 posts
I've also been struggling with this. We oftentimes want to render shadows completely separate (separate EXR), with a shadow catcher on relevant geometry to give comp the ability to mix the shadows / adjust them to their liking. Using Geometry properties and background plate I was able to create all of the necessary mattes / holdouts needed to individual objects & render layers - the one hang-up seems to be getting shadows alone on alpha.
16 posts
A noob question: I saw an LPE holdouts;shadow;CDL in the tutorial "Houdini Karma | Render Matte-Phantom-Shadow", and there are similar-looking LPEs in this thread (post of Feb. 2, 2023 6:57 P.M.)

I understand CDL is an LPE, but what about this holdouts;shadow; prefix? I haven't found any documentation mentioning these names, and I'm not sure where to look---is this an aspect of Karma only, or... ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
7945 posts
gladstein
I understand CDL is an LPE, but what about this holdouts;shadow; prefix? I haven't found any documentation mentioning these names, and I'm not sure where to look---is this an aspect of Karma only, or... ?

Yes, something like that. I think it's Karma specific. As interoperable as LPE's were meant to be, every renderer has their own syntax for renderer-specific stuff.
16 posts
Excellent information, thanks so much!

Now, my final question on the subject: is there any documentation on what LPE prefixes Karma supports? unoccluded is mentioned in the Karma Standard Render Vars documentation, and houdouts;shadow; was mentioned in a tutorial, but what about the others? I found a good explanation in the renderman documentation (https://rmanwiki.pixar.com/display/REN22/Using+LPE) but I'm not clear on which ones Karma supports.
22 posts
Bump this thread as I'm also lost about these LPEs "unoccluded", "shadow", are they documented?

Best
/Timo
126 posts
Any updates or solutions on this?
3 posts
Mirko Jankovic
Nope. It's hard to believe that the feature is still not supported in Houdini's Karma renderer in 2024. It‘s been in use since around 2003. It’s a pretty simple, straightforward methodology, and essential for any renderer. Renderers like Vray, Redshift, Renderman, and Arnold have it.(even Metntal Ray)
51 posts
Neohan
Mirko Jankovic
Nope. It's hard to believe that the feature is still not supported in Houdini's Karma renderer in 2024. It‘s been in use since around 2003. It’s a pretty simple, straightforward methodology, and essential for any renderer. Renderers like Vray, Redshift, Renderman, and Arnold have it.(even Metntal Ray)
Also IRay and Unreal...
Wonder if 20.5 can manipulate the new Cop system to send it back to the Karma XPU.
126 posts
I'm actually trying to ditch Redshift completely and move to Karma XPU , but with 2 currently running projects I rely heavy rely on shadow mate. Now can that be changed in workflow and add that as separate pass in comp? sure.. but having actually shadow mate makes my life sooo much easier and faster to work in this example of mine that it is hard to move...
411 posts

i think this should help
http://www.christophers.website
126 posts
Looks like getting somewhere but need to test more if it works as planed without actual back plate image, only using objects in the scene to catch shadows.
148 posts
Background Plate LOP did not work as expected last time I looked into. Was expecting it to work similar to how Redshift does it, Regarding getting a shadow in the alpha channel. It's also slow to update when using Karma XPU, try to just move a light and you will notice it.
126 posts
But it does seems to get usable shadow pass to comp it later so... it is not like arnold or redshift shadow catcher that is for sure which is shame as it makes life a bit easier but should be able to use it after all.
148 posts
Mirko Jankovic
But it does seems to get usable shadow pass to comp it later so... it is not like arnold or redshift shadow catcher that is for sure which is shame as it makes life a bit easier but should be able to use it after all.

Yes, the result looks good. But the reduction in interactivity was a shame, it was only a problem with XPU not CPU. I will have to test again with the new slap comp feature.
  • Quick Links