Editing parameters on USD file

3965   7   1
260 posts
Hello guys.
This might be very stupid question.
I have downloaded Attic scene from Nvidia, that contains geometry, materials and lights.
Loading in Houdini was simple, but now im scratching my head, how i would go and look/modify materials, or lights.
As until now i was creating all those things in Houdini, so it was easy to go into material library and modify it there, or select light node and edit it there.
But with this single Usd i have only Sublayer and all those things are already in it.
How would one go and modify lights or shaders?

Thank you very much for your help.
M.
260 posts
to answer my own question, editmaterial helps with material modifications
Staff
2540 posts
Yes to using the Edit Material LOP and Drag-N-Drop the material you wish to edit and hit "load" to reconstruct the VOP shader network from the USD shade nodes.

As for Lights, the common strategy is to use the Light mixer for all light adjustments.
In H18.5 we added the ability to not only modify the light brightness and exposure but also the position of the lights and some of the Light primitive vars.

The only current limitation with the light mixer is the ability to select multiple lights and transform them. Only one at a time.
You can use the Edit LOP to move multiple lights.

When doing viewport selections absolutely use the select filter on the arrow select button and set to Lights. If you are in the Edit LOP you can get to the same options on the top bar filters as well. If you hit the "S" key in the light mixer you will also get the same selection filter icon strip at the top of the viewport to filter on light selections only.
There's at least one school like the old school!
260 posts
old_school
Yes to using the Edit Material LOP and Drag-N-Drop the material you wish to edit and hit "load" to reconstruct the VOP shader network from the USD shade nodes.

As for Lights, the common strategy is to use the Light mixer for all light adjustments.
In H18.5 we added the ability to not only modify the light brightness and exposure but also the position of the lights and some of the Light primitive vars.

The only current limitation with the light mixer is the ability to select multiple lights and transform them. Only one at a time.
You can use the Edit LOP to move multiple lights.

When doing viewport selections absolutely use the select filter on the arrow select button and set to Lights. If you are in the Edit LOP you can get to the same options on the top bar filters as well. If you hit the "S" key in the light mixer you will also get the same selection filter icon strip at the top of the viewport to filter on light selections only.

Thank you Jeff for the answer.
I did already played little bit with the light mixer, but seems i cant change most of the things you would want to change, thats why i asked the above question.
Light size, light type, light texture are the most obvious ones.
260 posts
Any info on this?
8551 posts
you can put down Light LOP, set Action to Edit and press Initialize Parameters to Edit, then just override whatever you want

OR

easier way to do all that, in Scene Graph Tree RMB on your light and choose Edit Primitive/New...

EDIT: to change light type though you may need to use Configure Primitive though, seems like unnecessary inconvenience
Edited by tamte - Jan. 25, 2021 23:56:02
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
260 posts
Thank you.
Will have a look
26 posts
Hi.

I'm working on a scene in which I have bunch of trees scattered from usd files. I would like to edit materials on those trees to balance out differences in shading.

Edit material seems to be very confusing. Whole ordering of parameters on nodes is different. Why couldn't be exactly the same as material library node?

Or, to rephrase, is there a way to re import existing usd materials in material library node?

I am using Arnold unfortunately.
  • Quick Links