How to randomize normal faces of bricks, and bulge them out?

1168   3   0
21 posts
Hi! So I have decided to make a simple stone wall HDA to create the effect of a Peruvian stone wall...

I have made an HDA that starts with a box, going into a Voronoi Fracture node, to get the general block shapes I want to use. I'd then like to only take the front facing faces, and offset them along their normal, forward and back, a random amount per face. After smoothing, only on the front faces, I'd like to apply a soft transform from the center of each rock face, also offset a randomized amount, making it bulge outwards.

...This is the setup I have so far, with the pink box showing the operations I've applied that I'd like to proceduralize and randomize. I figure I'll need to create a brick by brick attribute, so I've done that with the two nodes at the bottom.

Could someone please help me with figuring out a way to make this repeatable for other objects, on the faces of the temple, below:

Attachments:
peruvianWallExample.png (3.1 MB)
peruvianStoneWall_001.jpg (109.3 KB)
templeMockUp.png (1.5 MB)

21 posts
Oh, and here's the example file...

Image Not Found

Attachments:
stone_wall_randomize_offset.hiplc (119.0 KB)

475 posts
Hi,

here are some thoughts. Probably not the easiest way, but the main ideas are grouping the prims, which are looking outwards and deforming the points based on their distance to edges.

Attachments:
stone_wall_randomize_offset_mod.hipnc (150.7 KB)

731 posts
And here is another approach using foreach loops with ramdomized extrudes and then some group expands to peak out the points and smooth them afterwards. Obviously, you'd want to add controls for amount of randomness and peaking.

Attachments:
stone_wall_randomize_offset.2.hipnc (162.4 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
  • Quick Links