and I attached my PC (total 4GB)

But window Xp reconize only 3GB…

and houdini->main preference->object geometry

set this..sop cache : limit: 2048 cull level:3

obj cache: limit:3GB..

But as ever Memory Error is generated in 1.5GB< error section< 2GB

How can I solve this problem….
4140 posts
You don't say you're running 64 bit. As far as I know, regular XP can only recognize a maximum of 4G - but that includes the page file. Usually you'll only get 3G showing up. If you switch your page file off(typically not recommended), you'll be able to get at the whole 4G.

I know in Linux there's a “remapping” option it can use to use all 4G - this is enabled in the motherboard BIOS. I'm not sure if this relates to XP though.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
Staff
5170 posts
This is an unfortunate limitation of a 32bit OS and application.

A 32 bit machine has 2^32 addressable memory locations, regardless of how much actual memory you have installed. This works out to 4G, but most operating systems use 1 bit to separate user and system space for the application - further reducing that to 2G (2^31). That's why you're running out of memory close to 2G.

The solution is to get a 64 bit OS, which can address up to something like 64TB (64,000 GB) right now. And, you need a 64bit application to take full advantage of that as well. A 32 bit Houdini will be able to address up to 4G using WinXP 64, whereas a 64bit Houdini will address up to 64TB on WinXP 64.

Installing 4GB isn't a total loss, though. You can still run 2 memory hungry applications at once, much more than you could with 2GB.
639 posts
So starting H9 there'll be Houdini 64bits right? Hopefully? If not, 9.1?

It's so easy to hit that 1.5G limit these days. on my day to day work, I must have gotten 20 or 30 “memory allocation limit” related crashes under XP. Yes, I know I can write things to disk. I much rather be on Linux when I am working…
7766 posts
Basically, the first thing to do if you're running into 32-bit limitations is to:
1. Get a 64-bit machine.
2. Install WinXP x64 (or above), or Linux 64-bit

With a 32-bit version of Houdini 8.2 on WinXP x64 addressing up to 4 GB, that instantly gives you twice the breathing room already. With H8.2, if you need more than 4GB, then use a 64-bit distro of Linux.
18 posts
U can use /3GB switch under Windows XP to avoid 1.8 Gb limit per process.
U have to change your boot.ini file:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS=“Windows 32” /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS=“Windows 32” /3GB /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

After reboot u can use 3 Gb per process
Edited by - May 2, 2007 06:45:16
7766 posts
Mind you, this will only work with Houdini 8.2.
55 posts
thanks everyone…
66 posts
is there a 64 bit version of houdini for windows xp 64? Will there be in the future?
7766 posts
Not right now but probably in the future.

PS. Houdini 9 will work with Win XP x64 to use more memory as well.
  • Quick Links