I kinda miss full quality bucket rendering

3011   5   2
918 posts
Hello, it's been a while…

we are slowly getting our feet wet with Solaris and Karma and one thing I truly miss is the ability to switch beetween progressive and final bucket rendering. It's very nice that Karma's progressive view converges much faster to something beautyful to judge the lighting compared to Mantra. However when tweaking bumps and fine noise patterns in shading as well as sample settings, Mantra's final bucket rendering with focus mouse clicks is invaluable.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or is this the onyl way forward? Or can we set a region?

Thank you for any insights.

Happy day
Andy
918 posts
I love it, when I make myself look stupid

Apparently when rendering to MPlay one can just click on the image to set focus and Karma will happily sample that area to final quality.

Can anybody from SideFX speakt to this? @Mark?

Thank you.
Staff
2591 posts
Yes, rendering to mplay, you should be able to click to focus. The one tile you clicked on will be rendered to final quality (or almost) and the surrounding tiles will also get some further refinement.

Integrating this into the viewport rendering is a little tricky (mostly due to UI interaction). But we are investigating other options for future releases.

Oh, if you are writing your own delegate and want to use the mouse click information, it's described in: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk/_h_d_k__u_s_d_hydra.html#HDK_USDHydraCustomSettings [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by mark - March 8, 2021 12:41:00
262 posts
mark
Yes, rendering to mplay, you should be able to click to focus. The one tile you clicked on will be rendered to final quality (or almost) and the surrounding tiles will also get some further refinement.

Integrating this into the viewport rendering is a little tricky (mostly due to UI interaction). But we are investigating other options for future releases.

Oh, if you are writing your own delegate and want to use the mouse click information, it's described in: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk/_h_d_k__u_s_d_hydra.html#HDK_USDHydraCustomSettings [www.sidefx.com]

Thanks Mark. I´ve been using Karma for almost a year and that´s one thing that makes our work a bit harder sometimes. It would be very useful if we could use this kind of feature in the image viewport in Solaris.
7755 posts
guilhermecasagrandi
Thanks Mark. I´ve been using Karma for almost a year and that´s one thing that makes our work a bit harder sometimes. It would be very useful if we could use this kind of feature in the image viewport in Solaris.

Have you gotten the image viewport to show anything at all? I feel like I keep wanting a view that will show the framebuffer at 100% size regardless of the viewport dimensions but there doesn't seem to be one.
262 posts
jsmack
guilhermecasagrandi

Have you gotten the image viewport to show anything at all? I feel like I keep wanting a view that will show the framebuffer at 100% size regardless of the viewport dimensions but there doesn't seem to be one.

Yes. I´ve been using It since 18.5. I think It´s the best workaround, since you can limit the region to render, therefore having the final pixel quality faster.
  • Quick Links