Flip Fluid Scene Scale

2010   2   1
3 posts
Is it important to simulate flip fluid at real world scale? For example if I have a scene with a beach and some rocks, if I scale the scene down to 1/10th before adding water sim, would that give me unrealistic results?

Basically, can I sim ocean water on a smaller scale, and once it's done, just resize the whole scene along with the water and whitewater simulations?
224 posts
Hey!

1: Is it important to simulate flip fluid at real world scale?

It depends on the scene/solver. For flip/pyro I found that anything bigger then 1 meter typically works well with real world scale. Flip simulations that are small (like a cup of water) do not seem to work well at all. Between collision issues and needing very small particle separation it never seems to work. After some experimentation you can find something that works for you. Personally, anything smaller then a meter I scale up to a 1 meter or larger and anything larger I usually do something close to real scale

2. if I scale the scene down to 1/10th before adding water sim, would that give me unrealistic results?

Probably, since it will be pretty small. Something else to keep in mind is that even if something is real world scale it doesn't mean it will 100% look realistic. You always will have to adjust something, like gravity, time scale, etc. In your case (a beach scene) I would keep it at scale and adjust timescale/gravity to get something that looks good.

Anyway, best of luck I hope this is helpful
Edited by evanrudefx - June 24, 2021 00:06:53
Thanks,

Evan
3 posts
Hey ejr32123, thanks a lot for the reply!

So in my case, best option would be to keep to real world scale, and if need be, play with the timescale and the gravity to get good looking results. Got it..
  • Quick Links