Just-in-time fracturing

6409   5   2
Staff
4435 posts
For anyone who was at the DOPs technical evening last Tuesday (or for anyone who couldn't make it), here's the main hip file I showed at that presentation. It is an example of procedural splitting of a DOP object during a simulation. Rather than pre-fracturing the geometry and using glue to hold the pieces together, this file uses the SOP solver and some DOP node magic to split the geometry into two separate DOP Objects when an impact happens.

The splitting algorithm leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a good starting point. I'd love to see some improvements on this…

Thanks to everyone who came out, and enjoy the hip file.
Mark

Attachments:
breaking_ball.hip.gz (28.6 KB)

387 posts
What DOP Technical Evening? In Toronto?
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
68 posts
ben simons
What DOP Technical Evening? In Toronto?
It was an event in Santa Monica.
1390 posts
Thanks God! I've just tried to design similar system. Good to know how far away I was on this trip…
thanks for a hip.
sy.
24 posts
I wish you guys could record these evenings or webcast them in some way for those of us out in the boonies
MD
252 posts
Looks interesting (don't know DOPs well enough to figure this out yet), but I think the demo would be much more convincing if the rotations and trajectories were affected by the impacts. Is that something easily added?

I say this because initially I didn't get the sense that the splitting was occurring in air due to impacts- it felt like it was just “evolving” into separate chunks and I think a lot of people won't understand how cool this demo really is if the chunks all have the same arcs, timing, and rotation throughout their animation like they currently do.

Cheers,
Craig Hoffman
  • Quick Links