Chops: Scale copies by input

983   3   1
207 posts
Hullo there;

High level: I'm working on a scene consisting of a number of bouncy balls. I have a set of recordings of ball bounce sounds, and I would like to use CHOPS to basically instance a random one of these sounds each time a ball bounces.

I have this more or less working, but I would like to scale the amplitude of the selected sound by the velocity of the ball when it bounces. I *think* the way I need to do this is like so:

On the Copy node, I have the following in the Variables pane:

Then, on the "scale_the_sound_based_on_velocity" node, I do this:

However, the results I'm getting aren't what I expect. I think one of the problems is that I want to actually multiply the sound amplitude by the values in "incoming_bounce_data", rather than those by "triggers", which is what I'm assuming $V provides in the Copy node. However, my triggers are all normalized from 0-1, and my results end up going way over 1, so I think I'm misunderstanding 1) what $V actually does, and 2) what the proper way to go about doing this is.

Might there be any CHOPS experts who may be able to assist me? I really love using Houdini for this sort of sound design stuff, it's so very weird and fun, and I'd love to get better at it. .
Edited by dhemberg - Sept. 12, 2021 22:55:46

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.47.08 PM.png (27.2 KB)
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.46.07 PM.png (58.8 KB)
Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 9.47.34 PM.png (28.5 KB)

122 posts
Hm old File that do exactly That [www.sidefx.com]
Conservation of Momentum
207 posts
Hm! This is super interesting and I'm learning from it. Thank you so much!

It doesn't quite work the way my head imagines this SHOULD work; in this example, the sound clips are composited together, then the entire composite is 'gained' by an envelope. I would have imagined that it would be more accurate to gain each individual sound event, THEN do the composite. But I admit that I'm not exactly sure if these two things would yield identical results.
207 posts
Ok, yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think what I want to do is:

1) read the value of a particular "bounce intensity"
2) scale one randomly-selected audio clip by this intensity
3) THEN copy it into a larger "master bounce" composition.

To try to word all this another way: the file linked in the thread mentioned above does a global multiply on the final instanced sound clips. This is akin to globally adjusting the lights in the scene, which isn't what I want to do. I want to effectively adjust each "light" separately before adding it into my scene. (thinking about the sound clips as I think about lights is the most helpful analogy I can come up with to describe what I'm trying to do).
  • Quick Links