accurate way to stick POP particles to animatetd geometries?

1796   3   2
408 posts
Hey guys, what would be the most reliable and accurate way to have generated POP particles stick to an animated geometry please? Because that "minpos" approach isn't it :$ ...even without any velocity applied to the particles they just slide along the surface of the geometry.

I really need to generate some pops on each point of my geo whihc is animated, and iw ould really love if they could stick to those point they were born from til i decide otherwise myself.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

A.
8595 posts
Adriano
Because that "minpos" approach isn't it
maybe not "minpos" approach as that doesnt provide any coordinate, just snaps to closest location, which for moving geo is most likely shifting

since you didn't provide any file I assume verbal answer of the same vagueness should suffice
so for particles created on points "point" approach will work for sure
and for scattered particles on surface either "primuv" approach or directly using POP's sticking behavior will work

but just to get you going since you mentioned you are sticking exactly on points, here is simple example if source is All Points

Attachments:
pops_stick_to_points.hip (396.3 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
408 posts
tamte
Adriano
maybe not "minpos" approach as that doesnt provide any coordinate, just snaps to closest location, which for moving geo is most likely shifting

since you didn't provide any file I assume verbal answer of the same vagueness should suffice
and for scattered particles on surface either "primuv" approach or directly using POP's sticking behavior will work

but just to get you going since you mentioned you are sticking exactly on points, here is simple example if source is All Points

Thanks Tomas, very helpful. Defenitely something i'll be using often from here on. I'm not sure what you mean though by "POP's sticky behavior" is there a default attribute / feature for that that does not require the bit of code you used for "P" and "v"?

Either way, sorry for not sharing a file, actually i meant to and forgot. It was called "minpos_sucks_for_my_current_purpose.hiplc", i updated that file with the approach you were kind enough to share and renamed the file to "Thanks_Tomas.hiplc". Hopefully someoneelse will find it useful some day soon as well.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - Sept. 16, 2021 06:52:47

Attachments:
Thanks_Tomas.hiplc (423.0 KB)

385 posts
tamte
Adriano

would that work with vellum fluid?
  • Quick Links