Weird noise in speaker seems to be from Houdini & GPU?????!!

9518   29   4
41 posts
As the title suggests I seem to have this issue, when GPU (nVidia 3090) is doing stuff. For example moving viewport around.

Very strange, done alot of searching for help on Google to not much luck.

Posting here cos Houdini (possibly) seems to be part of the problem?

Am I going mad??!!!!
Edited by 5D - Oct. 3, 2021 05:56:43
900 posts
Are you sure the noise is coming from the speaker and not from the case?
Sometimes I can clearly hear my GPU/CPU working when I move the viewport around

cheers
Edited by Andr - Oct. 3, 2021 06:05:26
41 posts
Andr
Are you sure the noise is coming from the speaker and not from the case?
Sometimes I can clearly hear my GPU/CPU working when I move the viewport around

cheers

100% loud and clear. weird clicky buzzing. only one speaker, the one near the computer. ACTIVE monitors. plugging the computer or speaker into separate wall outlets makes no difference.
159 posts
I worked on one PC before, it had all kinds of noizes coming through the speaker when rendering on a gpu. But nowdays on my pc that doesnt happen. Dont know why it happes on some, maybe someone technical oriented can say.
320 posts
what type of speakers? USB? is your cell phone near them, I ask because my work PC gets noise from my Samsung
7762 posts
5D
As the title suggests I seem to have this issue, when GPU (nVidia 3090) is doing stuff. For example moving viewport around.

Very strange, done alot of searching for help on Google to not much luck.

Posting here cos Houdini (possibly) seems to be part of the problem?

Am I going mad??!!!!

This used to be fairly common years ago with crappy on board sound and/or cheap power supplies. I would suspect it may be a ground loop though. Do you have more than one device connected to the same amplifier? This may cause a ground loop. I had to buy a ground loop isolator they usually sell for car audio purposes to get the noise to go away when both devices were connected to the same amp.
41 posts
Big KRK active studio monitors, plugged into PreSonus Studio1810c external soundcard. (i am a music producer too)

It's not ONLY/or caused by Houdini just very much more prominent, dude to GPU usage i guess.

Nothing else connected to amp then, amps are in speakers.

Weird thing is this wasn't happening before I swapped audio cable (1/4 in to 1/4 inch jack) a couple of days ago. I swapped back since though and it didn't fix it so..... weird.

The one other possible thing to help diagnosis is that if I pull the usb cable out of the PC from the external soundcard it stops, even thought the speaker is still plugged in and on.
858 posts
5D
Big KRK active studio monitors, plugged into PreSonus Studio1810c external soundcard. (i am a music producer too)

It's not ONLY/or caused by Houdini just very much more prominent, dude to GPU usage i guess.

I had an issue where increasing load would increase fan speed, which was jiggling the jacks a tiny bit. With active monitors that was picked up as a buzz. Make sure the cables are tight.
--
Jobless
41 posts
Soothsayer
5D

I had an issue where increasing load would increase fan speed, which was jiggling the jacks a tiny bit. With active monitors that was picked up as a buzz. Make sure the cables are tight.

They are im sure its not this, but thanks.
248 posts
i actually sometimes hear almost inaudible tick sounds in quick succession when i sim or rotate something real heavy in H, they almost coincide with frame updates.
i have external sound device, and yamaha HS80 hooked to it, they are notoriously annoying in picking up anything imaginable, had to actually power them from entirely diff socket just to get rid of power supply hum
turning them off makes the sound go away, so it's not mechanical or coil whine or something else
Edited by osong - Oct. 4, 2021 10:19:28
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
833 posts
5D
100% loud and clear. weird clicky buzzing. only one speaker, the one near the computer. ACTIVE monitors. plugging the computer or speaker into separate wall outlets makes no difference.

Separate wall outlets would require that they're on separate circuits which might not be the case. For instance the way my house is wired might mean that all the outlets in one room are on the same circuit.

What I would consider is an inexpensive USB audio interface (you can find a decent one like the Focusrite Scarlet Solo for around $120) and see if that addresses the issue.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
41 posts
Midphase
5D

Separate wall outlets would require that they're on separate circuits which might not be the case. For instance the way my house is wired might mean that all the outlets in one room are on the same circuit.

What I would consider is an inexpensive USB audio interface (you can find a decent one like the Focusrite Scarlet Solo for around $120) and see if that addresses the issue.

problem is I am also a music producer as well as a Houdini learner and I need my NON-inexpensive interface!!!
833 posts
In that case do what I did and get yourself an RME UFX II which is pretty amazing!
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
41 posts
Midphase
In that case do what I did and get yourself an RME UFX II which is pretty amazing!

VERY expensive. is it DC coupled?
101 posts
Maybe Houdini is getting so smart now it tries to communicate with the user...
41 posts
Sygnum
Maybe Houdini is getting so smart now it tries to communicate with the user...

ha! internet's been trying that with me since 2001
1 posts
Hey 5D, did you manage this issue? I have a similar problem, but not from the speakers but from the laptop case itself. The most weird thing is I did stress test to the GPu, CPU, SSD, HDD and there was no any weird sound. I tested some videogames and again nothing unusual. I even did some simulations in Houdini of previous versions and again it was normal, nothing weird. But as soon as i turn on simulation in houdini 19, it makes very low but weird sound from deep inside of my laptop. Sound like a microchip is doing something, or like r2-d2 is hiding inside my laptop))
41 posts
Zigmund
Hey 5D, did you manage this issue? I have a similar problem, but not from the speakers but from the laptop case itself. The most weird thing is I did stress test to the GPu, CPU, SSD, HDD and there was no any weird sound. I tested some videogames and again nothing unusual. I even did some simulations in Houdini of previous versions and again it was normal, nothing weird. But as soon as i turn on simulation in houdini 19, it makes very low but weird sound from deep inside of my laptop. Sound like a microchip is doing something, or like r2-d2 is hiding inside my laptop))
sorry no. but kinda! in the end my 1/4inch jack connect into my active monitor after some accidental jiggling of it the noise seemed to stop. still kinda baffled.
125 posts
Zigmund

My bets are on coil whine.
152 posts
Heileif
My bets are on coil whine.

Zigmund,

On reconsidering this post I realized we are probably definitely having completely different issues as mine was caused in audio monitor speakers almost 3m away from my GPU, whereas yours is in a self contained laptop. I did a brief research into coil whine and I agree with Heileif.

5D
Edited by 5DN - Dec. 4, 2021 18:47:28
  • Quick Links