How can I get textures to show up in OpenGL for solaris?

3294   11   1
355 posts
How do I get textures to show up the the openGL view of solaris? It's just not happening for me; not sure what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
Edited by traileverse - Jan. 15, 2022 22:02:28
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
355 posts
no luck trying to get this to work, if I load up say the pig geo, the textures show in houdini gl, however, when I apply my own textures to my own models they don’t show up I have to render to see them.
Any idea what I’m doing wrong in solaris?
Edited by traileverse - Jan. 19, 2022 04:19:22
Staff
5158 posts
HoudiniGL relies on the shader network conversion to a USD Preview shader. Our built-in shaders like the Principled shader are converted to USD Preview shaders automatically. There is limited support for MatX shader conversion as well. If you're using a completely different network, you'll need to create a USD Preview shader network manually to see the textures in GL (USD UV Texture, USD Primvar Reader, USD 2D Transform, USD Preview Shader).
355 posts
malexander
HoudiniGL relies on the shader network conversion to a USD Preview shader. Our built-in shaders like the Principled shader are converted to USD Preview shaders automatically. There is limited support for MatX shader conversion as well. If you're using a completely different network, you'll need to create a USD Preview shader network manually to see the textures in GL (USD UV Texture, USD Primvar Reader, USD 2D Transform, USD Preview Shader).

Thanks @malexander. I see what you're saying. After doing a few more test I realized that it's because the textures or UDIM based, if I load in a texture that's not UDIM it works. So, I guess my question now becomes how can I get UDIM based stuff to show up?
7762 posts
miccetro
Thanks @malexander. I see what you're saying. After doing a few more test I realized that it's because the textures or UDIM based, if I load in a texture that's not UDIM it works. So, I guess my question now becomes how can I get UDIM based stuff to show up?

put the udim token in the filename: eg
diff.<UDIM>.rat
Edited by jsmack - Jan. 19, 2022 12:49:46
355 posts
jsmack
miccetro

put the udim token in the filename: eg
diff.<UDIM>.rat
Hey @jsmack thanks for reply, they were exported from substance painter with the token. See images below. Is there a specific way they should be written?

This is how the material file loader shows it in houdini.
Edited by traileverse - Jan. 19, 2022 13:07:56

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-19 125522.jpg (15.1 KB)

7762 posts
miccetro
Hey @jsmack thanks for reply, they were exported from substance painter with the token. See images below. Is there a specific way they should be written?

written, no. The token goes in the file name when read.

miccetro

Looks good. Is that what the asset path shows when inspecting the properties in the scene graph details view?
355 posts
jsmack
miccetro

written, no. The token goes in the file name when read.

miccetro

Looks good. Is that what the asset path shows when inspecting the properties in the scene graph details view?
Image shows what I'm seeing in the details view. And it renders in Karma as well, but won't show up in houdini gl

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-19 185332.jpg (65.1 KB)

7762 posts
miccetro
Image shows what I'm seeing in the details view. And it renders in Karma as well, but won't show up in houdini gl

Everything looks good there, I don't know what else it could be.

B:\? is it really loading off of a floppy drive?
355 posts
jsmack
miccetro

lol no it's a SSD but I have it as B drive; yeh don't know why I can't get it to work.
355 posts
jsmack
miccetro

I renamed the files (as seen here in image compared to previous image) and it now works! So by removing the color space (-ACEScg) part of the string the file works. Not sure what the issue is there, but maybe that can help you debug the problem. Also, if the filename doesn't have the <UDIM> token, it works with the color space part still in the filename.
Edited by traileverse - Jan. 19, 2022 19:37:04

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-01-19 192910_works.jpg (63.3 KB)

7762 posts
miccetro
I renamed the files (as seen here in image compared to previous image) and it now works! So by removing the color space (-ACEScg) part of the string the file works. Not sure what the issue is there, but maybe that can help you debug the problem. Also, if the filename doesn't have the <UDIM> token, it works with the color space part still in the filename.

The spaces in the name might have been confusing the udim globbing. I try to avoid the extra long names in the aces config that contain spaces and extra characters. The config has 'short' versions of most of the spaces as aliases. 'ACES - ACEScg' is simply 'acescg' in the reference config.
  • Quick Links