Filecache replaces "$OS.$F.bgeo.sc" with the resolved string

1563   5   0
9 posts
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a bug, a feature, or a mistake on my part.

Whenever I am using "Save to Disk in Background" on a filecache, it replaces the "Base Name" Entry with the resolved string.
It also doesnt keep the $F, but replaces it with the first cached frame number.

I am using Houdini 19.0.455
Images attached below
Edited by maximgehricke - Jan. 16, 2022 12:58:43

Attachments:
bug(2).png (1.0 MB)
bug.png (2.2 MB)

7763 posts
maximgehricke

The filecache node was updated in 19 to build the path more programmatically. To define the file name like before, change the File Path drop down from "Constructed" to "Explicit". This will allow using $F in the file name.

Otherwise, when using the constructed mode, leave out the frame number from the 'Base Name' field. This should only contain a descriptive token. No frame number, extension, version or other metadata should go in this field. In your example, simply use "$OS".
8551 posts
uncheck Advanced/Save/Harden Base Name On Save
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
238 posts
tamte

yeah that one got me very good. alt dragged in hurry couple times and ended up with overwritten file caches.
that is switched of by default from now on
Edited by sekow - Jan. 17, 2022 04:01:17
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
7763 posts
sekow
tamte

yeah that one got me very good. alt dragged in hurry couple times and ended up with overwritten file caches.
that is switched of by default from now on

It's still naming the file waterDust_pop.$F4.bgeosc_v1.$F4.bgeosc which is silly. Using an explicit path, or taking out the tokens from the base name will create a more sensible file name.
9 posts
jsmack
maximgehricke

The filecache node was updated in 19 to build the path more programmatically. To define the file name like before, change the File Path drop down from "Constructed" to "Explicit". This will allow using $F in the file name.

Otherwise, when using the constructed mode, leave out the frame number from the 'Base Name' field. This should only contain a descriptive token. No frame number, extension, version or other metadata should go in this field. In your example, simply use "$OS".

Ahhh I see, the node is more intelligent than I thought!

Thats actually great news, I was going nuts haha. This however makes it much easier too.

tamte

This is also very useful, I made this disabled by default now.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!
  • Quick Links