lossless compression on rendervar with dwaa

3227   9   0
31 posts
We are using dwaa as compression method on the renderproduct but it breaks the cryptomatte in karma. Is it possible to make some rendervars to be lossless?
Edited by leoYfver - March 18, 2022 09:28:47

Attachments:
dwaa_karma_renderproduct.png (56.1 KB)
crypto_dwaa_karma.png (67.0 KB)
compression_karma.hip (665.1 KB)

cg supervisor @goodbyekansas
31 posts
update:

seems like its a feature that is missing and a RFE exists now
7770 posts
leoYfver
update:

Are you rendering to the same product? Use a different product to control different image format features.
31 posts
jsmack
leoYfver
update:

Are you rendering to the same product? Use a different product to control different image format features.

I had the same thought but when i use usd_render_rop it only picks up the latest renderproduct in the rendersettings list. I just assumed this doesnt work but now when you mentioned it I do get the output from all the renderproducts in the viewport, just not when rendering through husk. I could be doing something wrong too.

Attachments:
render_products.hip (3.8 MB)

23 posts
I tested out your scene and I think it comes down to the "Override Output Image" being set on the usdrender node - which will override the path for both renderproducts so they do both get written to disc, but the latter overwrites the former.
If I leave that parameter blank and instead set the path on the renderproducts I get both outputs. However - like in your screenshot above - the crypto passes are bugged in nuke.

Attachments:
cryptoBug_forum.jpg (33.0 KB)

710 posts
leoYfver
update:

Already addressed it seems.

Attachments:
firefox_8ncoW1z1zt.png (37.0 KB)

31 posts
Hello!

Im trying build 19.0.632 but cant figure out how to use the per aov compression. Has someone figured it out? There is no setting on the rendervar node and I tried to add it manually with a wrangle like in the image example below but no success.

Attachments:
aov_compression.JPG (21.2 KB)

4 posts
leoYfver
Hello!

Im trying build 19.0.632 but cant figure out how to use the per aov compression. Has someone figured it out? There is no setting on the rendervar node and I tried to add it manually with a wrangle like in the image example below but no success.

Did you ever figure this out?
Looking into the same issue now.
Edited by Dubbie - May 1, 2023 01:23:49
31 posts
The rules are based on openEXR recommendation. So when the channel names are uppercase it gets compressed and lowercase they dont.

So after this bugfix(attached image) when you export a color rendervar it will be layer.RGBA (compressed) and if you export rendervar as point or vector it will be layer.xyz (not compressed).

Regards Alexis
Edited by leoYfver - May 1, 2023 06:50:24

Attachments:
dwaa_fix.png (29.5 KB)

4 posts
Thanks for the update Alexis,

You don't happen to have a sample scene that shows V-Ray output set up with different bit depths and compression per AOV?
  • Quick Links