Houdini 19 and Ubuntu 22.04

4705   4   1
301 posts
Experimentally install H19 on a Ubuntu 22.04 and got this.

Just running hkey

```
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, webgl, xcb.

Aborted (core dumped)
```
Nicholas Yue
42 posts
Hello
In fact ubuntu 21.10 and 22.04 has glibc 2.35 , so we can't run h19 in 22.04 , if you check out the sidefx system requiments and you will see NOTE for glibc , i tried to launching h19 in xubuntu 22.04 but not run at all i installed all dependencies but not worked
H19 not supporting ubuntu 21.10 above ...
we must to wait ...

Install these packages :

sudo apt install xcb*
sudo apt install libxkbcommon-x11-0

Your problem depends for install xcb libraries and xkbcommon

if you even installed these libraries you will get the new error, like me ...

Better you need jumping back to previous ubuntu lts version 20.04 or using debian 11.x
I use debian 11.3 with xfce , i haven't any problem and works well

Good luck
Edited by SMC7192 - April 27, 2022 01:38:21
Staff
730 posts
You likely need to install the daily build, which recently had some fixes for glibc issues on new OS versions (https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/81386/?page=5#post-363582)
1626 posts
There may be another factor in play here. I *think* the new ubuntu ships wayland-only by default, no more X11.
This would be a separate issue from the glibc problem.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
1 posts
You can make it run under Xwayland* by setting the envar as follows:
export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=xcb

I can't imagine Ubuntu shipping without Xwayland since that would break too many apps.
You'll need to run with Xwayland till Wayland support arrives in Houdini. Qt already supports it, maybe Houdini has an older version or disabled it for whatever reason. Davinci-Resolve has the same issue, btw.

*"XWayland is a fully fledged X server implementation that act as a proxy between X11 clients and a Wayland compositor."
  • Quick Links