How do I set environment variables ?

1063   1   0
1 posts
I was told by SideFX that I need to set the environment variable: HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR to a non synced directory. I am on a Windows Computer.

I checked on their website but I still have no clue how to do it ? https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/config_env.html [www.sidefx.com]

I have my Houdini.env folder open. Do I type code in ? and what exactly? Or if there is actually a proper step by step process, please link below!

The reason why is bc I have Houdini.env in my OneDrive so Houdini is not working. I am doing a course Abstract FX in CGMA so I need to figure this out to submit my project!!

Please helppp!!!
7770 posts
environment variables are set by your OS before launching programs. On windows they can be created with the environment variable editor control panel, or added to the environment when launching houdini by using a batch file. Adding them to the houdini.env can also be used to set most Houdini variables except for HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR, since the houdini.env is located in that folder.
As for setting your user prefs folder to a non-synced directory, I don't think that's required. I have my home houdini folder in my documents folder on OneDrive and don't have any problems.
  • Quick Links