Getting some really weird errors and node breaks in LOPs

3161   9   1
51 posts
Ok, so I'm going to do the evil thing and just post the errors, as I am unable to share the scene itself as it is something I am debugging for another artists and I do not have permission to share.

Whenever I activate a SOP Import node in this scene I get this error:
Error while authoring a USD Preview Surface shader
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py", line 56236, in editableStage
return _hou.LopNode_editableStage(self)
RuntimeError

On the light node I am getting this failure:
Unable to evaluate expression (
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\loputils.py", line 576, in getMetersPerUnit
stage = inputnode.stage()
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py", line 56268, in stage
return _hou.LopNode_stage(self, output_index, apply_viewport_overrides, ignore_errors, use_last_cook_context_options, apply_post_layers)
RuntimeError
(/stage/domelight1/xn__houdiniguidescale_s3a)).
I am able to fix that one by deleting the function out of the parameter it is on, but that feels really weird as that should be a piece of SideFX code. Also, the camera node gets the same error on the same function, but if I fix that one I get the following:
Unable to evaluate expression (
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\loputils.py", line 567, in getConvertedCameraParmValue
parmvalue = convertFromMillimetersToCameraUnits(lop, parmvalue)
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\loputils.py", line 545, in convertFromMillimetersToCameraUnits
stage = inputnode.stage()
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py", line 56268, in stage
return _hou.LopNode_stage(self, output_index, apply_viewport_overrides, ignore_errors, use_last_cook_context_options, apply_post_layers)
RuntimeError
(/stage/camera1/verticalApertureOffsetConverted)).

The funny thing is, I cannot find the attribute verticalAperatureOffsetConvertedon the camera node at all to fix that one.

Then finally on the Karma node I am getting this error, which I cannot figure out why the node is throwing one:
Invalid source /stage/karma1/karmarenderproperties/renderproduct
Error: Unable to evaluate expression (
File "<stdin>", line 4, in expression
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\loputils.py", line 287, in globPrimPaths
return rule.expandedPaths(lop)
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.561/houdini/python3.7libs\hou.py", line 57600, in expandedPaths
return _hou.LopSelectionRule_expandedPaths(self, lopnode, return_ancestors, fallback_to_new_paths)
RuntimeError
(/stage/karma1/karmarenderproperties/renderproduct/rendervars))..

The artist has shown that the shot renders on his box, but I am getting these massive, low level errors which are preventing me from fully debugging the shot properly. Any ideas. I have tried rebuilding the nodes in scene and in a clean scene. The camera still throws the python error and the karma issue still happens with a clean scene. I did install a copy of the Pixar Python library for some other testing on a different project, could that have broken things?
Staff
4439 posts
Those failures look very strange. They all look like the failure is actually being cause by a failed call to hou.LopNode.stage() or hou.LopNode.editableStage() (in the case of the first error). But it's not LOPs throwing that python exception. It's somewhere in our auto-generated python boilerplate for turning python calls into C++ calls... Is there any chance you're picking up some python library from your environment rather than the python library that ships with Houdini?
51 posts
I added the Pixar library to Hython. I needed it for a project that requires Hython to be run.
Staff
4439 posts
Whay Pixar library? Houdini ships with the Pixar USD python bindings already...
51 posts
mtucker
Whay Pixar library? Houdini ships with the Pixar USD python bindings already...
Yeah, I was finding better documentation on the Pixar site than on SideFX's and was struggling with getting the information out of it that I needed without using Pixar's implementation. I would love to just reinstall and go back to using pure Hython for it, but I worry for SideFX's optimization. The use case I have NEEDS to be optimized for it to be effective, and I have run into perfomance issues using other methods in Hython's (non-USD) object interaction API, which thus far the Pixar library has not run into when operating on USDs.
Staff
4439 posts
The python API for USD that ships with Houdini _is_ the Pixar python API for USD. SideFX did not implement any of that API, or change it in any way from the Pixar implementation. If you have specific performance concerns, and especially if you see differences in behavior/performance between using the USD API that ships with Houdini compared to a built-from-scratch USD library Python API, please let us know (with specific steps to reproduce).
51 posts
mtucker
The python API for USD that ships with Houdini _is_ the Pixar python API for USD. SideFX did not implement any of that API, or change it in any way from the Pixar implementation. If you have specific performance concerns, and especially if you see differences in behavior/performance between using the USD API that ships with Houdini compared to a built-from-scratch USD library Python API, please let us know (with specific steps to reproduce).
Will do. I will do a wipe my install and reload to be sure it is cleared and run my test code again.
51 posts
mtucker

OK, so I have somehow completely broken my Houdini 19.0 install of Houdini. I have completely uninstalled all versions of Houdini, Launcher, Engine, etc., deleted my Houdini19.0 folder in my Documents folder, then reinstalled 19.0.657 (previously I had 19.0.531, which is the one I broke) and I am still getting the below errors when I open the stage context. I have no idea what is going on or where it is pulling from to try to load the Python libraries. There are 0 19.0 directories in my Program Files/SideFX/ directory before I install, and the installed ones are still corrupting for some reason.

File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.657\python37\lib\site-packages-forced\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pxr.CameraUtil'
File "C:\PROGRA~1\SIDEEF~1\HOUDIN~1.657\python37\lib\site-packages-forced\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pxr.PxOsd'
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.657/houdini/python3.7libs\husd\UsdHoudini\__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
import _usdHoudini
SystemError: initialization of _usdHoudini raised unreported exception
Problem loading FreeCamera.usda files:
"Warning: Import failed for module 'pxr.CameraUtil'!
Import failed for module 'pxr.PxOsd'!
Import failed for module 'husd.UsdHoudini'!"
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pxr.Garch'
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pxr.Glf'
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pxr.UsdImagingGL'
Staff
4439 posts
That still looks like an environment problem. Do you have any other USD libraries in your PATH? Any other USD libraries in your PYTHONPATH? Those messages show up when you launch Houdini? Do you launch it from the command line or from the Start Menu?
27 posts
I'm having this problem using oceanprocedural
  • Quick Links