Identifying the active input in a switch with many inputs

1272   5   0
74 posts
I have a switch SOP with a whole bunch of inputs. The input index is defined procedurally, by an expression. I can see the index, but how can I quickly identify the currently active input node? Right now, in the parameters dialog for the Switch SOP, I use the index to count down the list, to find the name of the active SOP, but it's tedious. Is there some "Identify currently active node" function that would do this for me?
4528 posts
Hi,

You can use the opinputpath expression on the Switch node for example:
opinputpath(".", ch("input"))
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
74 posts
animatrix_
You can use the opinputpath
Thanks, I'll try it. What would solve this easily are simple line numbers on the left (like in code editors) in the Switch SOP parameter dialog.
8594 posts
It it's just visual feedback you are after then as long as the Switch is cooked, you should see the active input connection line being solid, while others are dashed
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
74 posts
tamte
active input connection line being solid
Thanks. With a whole bunch of inputs going into one Switch SOP, this distinction gets lost. I'll check the config files, maybe there's a way to make the active input wire much thicker and a different color.
74 posts
I'm using opinputpath(".", ch("input")), but here are a few findings from my research:

1) Alt-LMB on the Switch SOP lets you select an input wire by index (ready to rewire), but not the input node.
2) RMB on a wire lets you select its input/output SOP.
Sadly, I don't see a way to combine 1) and 2) into one desired operation "Select input on wire number 7"
3) With the first input SOP selected, Shift-PgDn steps through the inputs in sequence (in case I want to count)

As far as making the active wire more distinct: I see many config files that reference the appearance of network wires (list below), but it's tedious to change a value, then restart Houdini to see if I made a desired change.
1) Is there a searchable documentation on all such config files saying exactly these variables refer to?
2) Can Houdini "source" (re-read) all its config files in-session, so I can see the changes without a restart?

$HFS\houdini\default.wirestyles (I don't know how to define the appearance of a wire theme/style)
$HFS\houdini\config\NodeGraphLight.inc
$HFS\houdini\config\NodeGraphCommon.inc
$HFS\houdini\config\UILight.hcs
Edited by element33 - Nov. 15, 2022 09:33:32
  • Quick Links