Leave only the first prim in a prim group

806   3   0
74 posts
In a prim group, how do I remove all prims except the first one? I tried a Prim Wrangle, with the desired group in the "Group" field, like so:
if (@primnum>0) removeprim(0,@primnum,1);
But it removes all prims in a group (seems like @primnum starts at 0 for the entire geometry, not for the desired group). I can Split-SOP by group, then remove all prims but the first one, then merge back all geometry, but I'd like to do this without splitting. In a Prim Wrangle, I can also iterate through all prims, check group membership, save the first prim and remove all others, but maybe there's a way without iterating through all prims.
Edited by element33 - Nov. 22, 2022 19:20:01
8594 posts
Not by Houdini right now, but you should be able to do something like this
int prims[] = expandprimgroup(0, "mygroup");
if (@primnum != prims[0]){
    removeprim(0, @primnum, 1);
}
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
74 posts
tamte
Not by Houdini right now, but you should be able to do something like this
Cook, thanks.
4528 posts
If you want the fastest performance though, I would recommend doing this using the Blast SOP with this expression:

`arg(primlist(0, "myprimgroup"), 0)`

If you want to do this for an arbitrary number of groups, then I would gather all the first elements into an array using a Detail Wrangle, turn this array into a space separated string and then use that with Blast SOP.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links