Alembic and primvars

1215   3   0
72 posts
Hi,

Referencing an ABC(exported from Houdini) directly doesn't seem to to allow me to use the custom attribs in a 'geometry property value' shader for material x. Using a SOP create to load the ABC does work and I notice the formatting of the primvars is a little different between the the two import methods. I assume something to do with this:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/87928/ [www.sidefx.com]

So for example; if I have an FX fluid sim as an ABC with some custom attribs, the only way to access those in a shader would be to write the geometry out again as usdc via something like sopcreate. Is that so? Perhaps I need to find a way to write to usdc in the first place to avoid duplicating these sims?

J
Edited by protean - Jan. 24, 2023 13:07:15
john @ hydrastudios
7845 posts
Does it work if the attributes are saved as color set attributes?
72 posts
Ah... It does seem to. Thanks!

I actually notice velocity seems to come through but I've not inspected it's accuracy yet. So perhaps it's just the format of the vector being myvec.0, myvec.1, myvec.3 instead of r,g,b or x,y,z?

J
john @ hydrastudios
7845 posts
protean
Ah... It does seem to. Thanks!

I actually notice velocity seems to come through but I've not inspected it's accuracy yet. So perhaps it's just the format of the vector being myvec.0, myvec.1, myvec.3 instead of r,g,b or x,y,z?

J

from my brief tests inspired by that other thread, arbitrary vector and float attributes were broken.
  • Quick Links