RS vs Karma XPU massive difference help

2157   4   2
355 posts
in the images below I have the RS render (which is what I expect to see), and karma XPU, which is far from what I expect to see (I tries using OCIO transforms to ensure color space parity, which makes no difference) and karma CPU render which is a bit better than XPU but still has a big issue. The second screen close to the keyboard has the texture all blurred out. The way this is setup is that there is a plane for the screen and another plane above the transparent plastic covering (the material has almost 0 specular roughness), so I tried rendering the screen plane alone using XPU and it's not blurry. The main screen is setup exactly the same way and is using the exact same transparent plastic material and the screen texture beneath is visible and not blurry so I don't think the material is the problem. Next, why are the Karma renders so dark? I increased diffuse and reflection limits and no change.

Attachments:
redshift.png (2.5 MB)
karma_xpu.png (2.3 MB)
karma_cpu.png (2.6 MB)
karma_xpu_second_screen_only.png (1.8 MB)

hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
9 posts
Hey,
Did you find out what the issue with this was?
171 posts
Is there something like surface priority in Karma materials? Or Raytracing bias in the Karma LOP for when two surfaces are super close together?
355 posts
cgfrankie
Hey,
Did you find out what the issue with this was?
No I didn’t, I just used redshift! If H20 has production ready XPU
I
’ll get fully into Karma. Nevertheless, would still love some wisdom on this issue.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
Staff
4164 posts
It's hard to tell without a hip file, but it could be ray bias, it could be fake caustics or transparency limits... the material might not be setup 100% correctly (especially if it's a usd preview auto-generated from the RedShift material).
I'm o.d.d.
  • Quick Links