Legacy nodes or new nodes for a noob?

742   2   0
188 posts
I have been learning Houdini since 2021. Most of the tutorials out there have been made using Houdini 18.
I had a very long troubleshooting discussion here

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/89610/?page=1#post-389566 [www.sidefx.com]

The main trouble was that the tutorial I was following used attribute noise node available in Houdini 18 and since I am on Houdini 19, I couldn't follow. Later during the discussion I realized that there is still a way to access old attribute noise node.

Now, as a Houdini noob, should I learn the new nodes directly or first learn the old nodes (available in Houdini 18 specifically, not before that) then the new ones?
8590 posts
proceduralist
Now, as a Houdini noob, should I learn the new nodes directly or first learn the old nodes (available in Houdini 18 specifically, not before that) then the new ones?
to follow tutorial it may be easier to use old nodes
(for old nodes it takes time to go away completely since they need to be there for backward compatibility in case you open old hip file that uses them)

once you understand the setup it would be straightforward to compare to new node and understand the differences

it's also natural to switch to newer nodes in time, since there is a chance every time you place a node it will be a new one (unless you revived some ophidden one that's not used under the same name anymore)

so as you are using Houdini you will be constantly facing new nodes and whenever you feel comfortable you will start using those
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
188 posts
Thanks! Will keep that in mind.
  • Quick Links