Stitching together adjacent surfaces with different topo

968   3   0
11 posts
I'm working on some path related workflows that involve a lot of boolean operations resulting in adjacent surfaces with a touching edge, and I'm having some trouble working out a smart way to fuse them.

For example, I have these two surfaces touching, one has booled the other so they are flush. They share an edge in space but are not actually connected.

After fusing the overlapping points and dividing the geo into triangles, we can see the connectivity. The surfaces are only connected at every other point. Surface B's new edge has points along it corresponding to surface A's edge, and they are fused together. Surface A's edge is unchanged, creating open edges where Surface B's points are.
The highlighted points are not connected, and the red lines draw the missing triangulation.

By adding some noise to the surface we can see the open edges.

The best solution IMO is to find a way to add points to surface A's edges where surface B's points are. I'm currently looking into a way to isolate the seam edge of surface B and splice it into surface A, so all the points from both surfaces along the seam are fused. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear it.
Edited by badman - June 5, 2023 13:10:44

Attachments:
1.JPG (110.8 KB)
3.JPG (148.9 KB)
2_edit.JPG (153.3 KB)

685 posts
Without looking further into it. This polystitch hda came to my mind. Maybe it can do what you need:
Tech Art Challenge [www.sidefx.com]

Cheers
CYTE
480 posts
@badman_
here is a (not optimized) way to add the intersecting points and rebuild each polygon (with new points). The points, which are supposed to be the border points, should be very close to each edge.

Attachments:
stitching_two_sides.hipnc (184.2 KB)

11 posts
Great solutions, thank you both of you.
  • Quick Links