Best Game Art Asset Entries

3205   9   2
Staff
1182 posts
When they are completed, add your entries to the Best Game Art Asset Category to this thread before the contest deadline.

If you want to show off your WIP then add your own WIP thread to the H20 Tech Art Challenge forum. Only use this thread when your project is complete and ready for submission.
Edited by rmagee - Nov. 16, 2023 12:52:17
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
1 posts
Hello!

This tool generates ice and icicles that are pre-fractured and ready to be used within Unreal's Chaos system. as part of my internship portfolio, I was looking to create a project that involves a practical use of DOPS in a game engine context and im quite happy with the results. The tool takes in an actor in the outliner and generates a mesh around it.
The user can control the time of the icicle simulation, the source and amount of propagation and the seed of it to create interesting and diverse results.
When the tool is baked, it will be identified as a destructible geometry collection inside unreal with the correct damage thresholds to mimic ice breaking. An anchor field would then need to be used to prevent the geometry from destructing when the game starts being played.

UE5.2_example_project [drive.google.com]

Thank you!

Attachments:
IcicleGenerator_06.hipnc (778.5 KB)
icicleGenrator.2.0.hdanc (108.4 KB)
IcicleShowcaseVideo.mp4 (14.0 MB)
IcicleGeneratorScreenshotWide.png (2.2 MB)

4 posts
Hello!

Very fun to see this challenge reoccurring.
Looking forward to see all the submissions!

I've created a stair & catwalk generation tool.

This tool is made for use in Unreal Engine with Houdini Engine, but can of course be used elsewhere.
The lacking part if not used in Unreal Engine is the material & shading.

This tool uses lines/splines/curves as input and creates stairs & catwalks as the main output.
In reality stairs can turn either by bending, or utilizing platforms as midpoints.
This tools focuses on the platform approach and does not feature an option to have curved stairs mainly to
avoid complex collisions for game engines.

How it works:

The HDA uses one or multiple splines/curves as input, which can be connected to form a set of lines and points.
(to connect multiple curves either A. connect them manually or B. simply
put the points on each other and a fuse inside the tool will handle it)

Based on angles and proximity between points, the points becomes platforms-shapes and the lines connecting them stairs, slopes or extended platforms.
Using the generated stair-lines & platform shapes the tool then generates railings, platform geometry and stair steps with many parameters for styles and options.

(This HDA uses the Labs texel density node)

Unreal Engine 5 demo project [drive.google.com]
Edited by LukasRH - Jan. 12, 2024 14:03:51

Attachments:
sop_lukas.PlateauStairs.hdalc (144.3 KB)
styleBlend.jpg (4.1 MB)

19 posts
TillingPhysicsDrop is a tool that allows you to generate tilling PBR texture sets from 3D models stored on your disc. It allows you to create high-quality textures for your 3D projects quickly and easily. Generated maps can create realistic surface details and lighting effects on the landscape (displacement and nanite support required). It also allows you to create textures from any meshes you have in your project (using Unreal RenderToTexture_LevelBP). The tool aims to optimize the settings for you, but you can modify them as you wish. Since it uses a seed-based approach, you can generate a collection of textures with compatible edges (which allows us to apply some UV variation).

It was tested in Unreal and Houdini Indie. It should be compatible with Unity as well, but it has not been verified yet.

Unreal 5.3 demo project [drive.google.com]
Edited by Gand - Jan. 13, 2024 06:34:00

Attachments:
tillingphysicsdrop.1.0.hdalc (353.0 KB)
screenshot.png (3.7 MB)

4 posts
Hello Everyone!

For this challenge, I created a medieval castle wall generator. I tried to make it more interesting by allowing the user to add procedural destruction to this wall.

This tool is intended for environment artis, to help speed up the creation of destructed castle walls, as this can be a time consuming process. Also, with proceduralism, I figured it was easier to add randomisation to the destruction.
The tool is intended for Unreal Engine, but you can use it in Houdini as well.

The tool offers some functions to the user to allow them to change the look of this wall. You can use a curve to draw the main outline of this castle wall. The castle wall also adapts to the terrain. This can be achieved by plugging in a landscape. For the destruction, you can add destruction meshes, which roughly outlines where the destruction occurs. You can alter the destruction seed to change the main look of this. Last but not least, there are a few material inputs as well, allowing you to apply your own materials.

This HDA uses sideFX labs nodes.

Sample Unreal file [drive.google.com]

Cheers, really cool to see what other projects the other participants are making!
Edited by SebvdB - Jan. 14, 2024 08:19:51

Attachments:
SebvdB_WallBuilder_Render.png (2.8 MB)
SebvdB_WallBuilder.hdanc (1.6 MB)
SebvdB_WallBuilderExample.hipnc (948.0 KB)

2 posts
Hi everyone!

I created an HDA that generates procedural water lily ponds.

This tool is made to be used in Houdini and is intended for environment artists or modelers working on animations/games that involve building water gardens.

With controls to adjust the dimensions, wall, rocks, and vegetation of the pond, the tool provides artists with control over key elements of the pond (e.g. water lily bloom rate, roundness of rocks, lily pad opening angles). The tool also utilizes VEX and SOPs to streamline the process of putting the entire pond together (i.e. combining petals to make flowers, overlapping lily pads, assembling clumps of pond grass).

Geometrically modeling aesthetic vegetation is always a hassle, so I hope this tool can help to create water lily pond scenes (or at least flowers and plant clumps) that suit the needs of the artists, whether they are taking into account the pond's setting or season.

I had tons of fun making the tool, and I'm excited to see everyone's submissions!

Edited by yuhanl - Jan. 14, 2024 22:58:40

Attachments:
ponds.png (2.1 MB)
waterlilypond.hipnc (2.7 MB)
sop_Yuhan Liu.water_lily_pond.1.0.hdanc (105.0 KB)

19 posts
Regular Dumpster- It's a dumpster. Yep, that's what it is.

Edited by Ryan Paterson - Jan. 15, 2024 16:45:57

Attachments:
Poster Night.png (561.3 KB)
Poster Day.png (3.9 MB)
Regular Dumpster Manual.txt (4.6 KB)
regularmenthol.Regular_Dumpster.1.2.hdalc (358.4 KB)
Reg_Dumpster.hiplc (539.1 KB)

1 posts
Hello Everyone,

My entry is a fully procedural and dynamic Trebuchet built within Houdini. The aim was to create an asset that could take artistic input and still simulate/animate correctly, also allowing for easy model variants. This asset could be used as part of a dynamic sequence or as an environment asset.

You can control arm length, rope length, aim rotation, arm starting position, counter weight mass and release angle or frame. These parameters affect both the model and the simulation. The arm position parameter controls the pivot angle of the arm but also animates the winch and pulley system. The counter weight fills up with rocks the higher the mass value. For the simulation it's all handled with RBDs. The projectile release is controlled with either a specific frame or the angle of the rope relative to the arm, this allows for animation precision and control.

I’ve also added a small test scene within houdini itself by ticking the “add target” you’ll spawn a small medieval tower for you to try and knockdown.

Hope you enjoy it and see if you can beat my score!

HDA Video Demo: [youtu.be]

Image Not Found

Image Not Found
Edited by SuperPhotoReal - Jan. 16, 2024 04:29:31

Attachments:
trebuchet_RENDER.jpg (772.4 KB)
SPR_trebuchet_demoScene.hiplc (411.0 KB)
sop_SPR_trebuchet.2.1.hdalc (1.9 MB)

5 posts
Ruler Tool

The Ruler Tool lets you create measurements in Unreal Engine (and in Houdini). Unlike the native ruler node, the output of this asset is actual geometry for rendering or previsualization. Dimension and extension lines, digits, as well as unit are customizable. Currently, the following input methods are supported:

• Editable handles for measuring the distance between two points.
  • World Outliner objects for calculating the distance between their centroid or closest surface points.
  • Editable Houdini 18.5 curve for manual placement of more than two measuring points.
  • Unreal spline for reusing your existing splines.

For Houdini curves and Unreal splines the distance between each curve point will be measured.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found
Edited by fr_3D - Jan. 24, 2024 17:09:29

Attachments:
Ruler_Tool_1.1_Screenshot.png (3.1 MB)
ff.ruler.1.1.hdalc (45.4 KB)
RulerTool_1.1_Demo.hiplc (2.4 MB)
RulerDemo_UE5.3.zip (3.2 MB)
RulerDemo_UE5.3_Preview.png (5.8 MB)

1 posts
Good morning/evening! I hope I'm still making the deadline.

I've been developing this tool as a school project, where the theme was Medieval Realistic, so I've decided to make a tower generator.

The tool is mainly meant for environment artists, since it is very flexible and you can build larger structures with it. Level designers could probably use this tool as well, but I don't think they would have the patience to make something of their own, they usually work with already premade assets. (But maybe I'm wrong!)
When developing the tool, I was struggling with deciding how much freedom do I want to give to the user. In the end, I left pretty much everything modifiable, because I wanted this tool to be really flexible and to be able to create any kinds of towers. That's why you'll be able to find over 100 parameters that you can play around with and create the tower of your dreams.

To enhance the UX and readability, the tool's system (and UI) is divided into 4 parts: Base, Middle, Top and Roof, where each part has its own setings. The reason for so many drop down folders is because Unreal did not want to process Tabs folders. A solution for this would be to make a custom UI menu, but that would add another days of work, which I could not afford.
Overall, most of the options are related to changing the shape of the tower. Secondly, you can enable or disable certain features like windows, arches etc. Lastly, there is an option to add materials though references.

There is also an experimental feature: A custom boolean. It may be unstable and annoying at times, but it can also be really handy! (click the "Advanced settings" checkbox to access it)

As a "proof of usefulness", I made a successful replica of the Butrón Castle in Unreal Engine 5 and made a short compilation of the build process in the video below. It was made only with the tool and 3 custom assets (Chappel, Bridge and Pillar).
This proved that the tool is actually capable of making something bigger (than it was initially meant to).

Video featuring the recreation of Butrón Castle:

Short video showcasing different settings for the tool:

The HDA was made and tested in Houdini 20.0.547 and Unreal Engine 5.3.2
If you want to check out only the Tower Generator HDA, you can download it here.download it here [drive.google.com] (25 MB)
If you want to check out the whole scene with the castle, you can download it here [drive.google.com]. (4 GB)

Image Not Found

Attachments:
L_ButronCastle.0043.jpg (1.9 MB)
sop_tower_gen_v1.hdanc (284.6 KB)

• Quick Links