What's "Pattern" for a selection set and how to use it?

838   2   0
212 posts
The document [www.sidefx.com] has a section about "Working with patterns".

But I genuinely can't understand it. Like the first action we can do is:

> Change a pattern for an item
> Double-click the name of the item.
> Type in the desired pattern.
> Press Enter.

...what is "an item"? An item in selection set pane? But when I double-click an item in selection set pane, it simply let me rename that item. What does it do with "pattern"?
Staff
63 posts
Hello, if you expand a set you have created you are able to see a hierarchy of controls inside with the character name, rig name, and the control names under each rig. In this context "item" refers to a row in the tree corresponding to a character, rig, or control name. Doubling clicking on one of these items will let you rename it which can be used as a way to manually change the controls contained in a set. One option while renaming is to supply a pattern. For example, if you change the character name from "mychar.char" to "*.char" then that subtree underneath the character item will now apply to every character matching the pattern. The same can also be done with rig or control items in the tree, for example you could rename a control "wrist_*" to match both "wrist_l" and "wrist_r".
1 posts
christopherk
Hello, if you expand a set you have created you are able to see a hierarchy of controls inside with the character name, rig name, and the control names under each rig. In this context "item" refers to a row in the tree corresponding to a character, rig, or control name. Doubling clicking on one of these items will let you rename it which can be used as a way to manually change the controls contained in a set. One option while renaming is to supply a pattern. For example, if you change the character name from "mychar.char" to "*.char" then that subtree underneath the character item will now apply to every character matching the pattern. The same can also be done with rig or control items in the tree, for example you could rename a control "wrist_*" to match both "wrist_l" and "wrist_r".
Thanks for the reply, I was wondering about this question as well
  • Quick Links