Karma Rop

711   5   2
74 posts
So i just discovered the karma rop. Is this as good as using the stage or are there major restrictions?

I am aware the stage provides lots more features for scene setup and layout. But if one just wants to render out quick tests is it the same.

Thanks
2537 posts
Yep, it's basically the same. If you actually dive inside the ROP you'll discover a LOPNet. Certain Solaris features, aren't available without "hacking" the ROP, which is quite possible to do.

I use the Karma ROP for quick and final renders
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
393 posts
It's useful as a stepping stone coming from Mantra, and the LOP network inside helped me understand the basics of Solaris and USD, but you'll hit obstacles pretty soon if you don't customize it, especially if you're rendering volumes.
74 posts
Tanto
It's useful as a stepping stone coming from Mantra, and the LOP network inside helped me understand the basics of Solaris and USD, but you'll hit obstacles pretty soon if you don't customize it, especially if you're rendering volumes.

What kind of issues with volumes I was planning to render volumes with it.
393 posts
It'll render fine, but heavy vdb's might take more time and disk space during the creation of the usd. Volumes should be imported to your lop tree with the volume node, which the karma node doesn't do.
74 posts
Thanks that was helpful. I guess might as well use the stage if you have to keep diving in to adjust things.
  • Quick Links