Reflection/refraction inclusion/exclusion

712   5   1
34 posts
Is there a way in solaris to have certain primitives not reflect/refract on/in certain other primitives?
35 posts
I believe you are looking for "rayswitching" functionality. Maybe this thread might help: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/93888/ [www.sidefx.com]

Todd
Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.artstation.com/thenotepadshow
www.itodd.net
8582 posts
This has nothing to do with ray switch or at least not explicitly workflow wise

It's more like reflection mask and reflection/refraction mask and reflection/refraction selection and categories in Mantra

Or potentially called trace sets in various renderers

I don't think there I anything like that yet for Karma
Edited by tamte - Jan. 15, 2024 23:48:53
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
35 posts
Oh... sorry. I didn't read the OP's message correctly. He is not looking for changes in behavior (color, etc..) of the reflections/refractions... he is looking to omit reflections and refraction. Apologies.

Todd
Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.itodd.net
35 posts
I was just playing around with your issue... I almost got there with the rendergeometrysettings node. Then playing with Render Visibility. See attached. I say almost because it doesn't take care of the shadows. It got me thinking... maybe you can use LPEs to get where you need to go. It adds complexity, not sure if that would be an issue with your pipeline.

Todd
Edited by TheNotepadShow - Jan. 17, 2024 10:37:48

Attachments:
No_Tracesets.hiplc (852.3 KB)

Thanks,
Todd Manus
www.itodd.net
34 posts
TheNotepadShow
I was just playing around with your issue... I almost got there with the rendergeometrysettings node. Then playing with Render Visibility. See attached. I say almost because it doesn't take care of the shadows. It got me thinking... maybe you can use LPEs to get where you need to go. It adds complexity, not sure if that would be an issue with your pipeline.

Todd

Its also removing the reflection of the sphere on the torus. LPEs could somehow maybe do the trick, but that is way to complicated for what is required. This needs propper reflection/refraction mask functionality. I put down an RFE for that.
  • Quick Links