Display mtlxmix in GL Viewport

673   5   1
3 posts
Hello there,

I'm trying a new MaterialX workflow in Houdini to texture my environments. I use the mtlxmix node for mixing materials but, since I'm quite picky, I'd like to see the result in the viewport to paint the attributes in realtime.

Is there any recommended way to display the mix result in the viewport? For example tweaking the node code.

Thanks in advance!
2537 posts
I can see the mix in my viewport. Make sure you have applied the material by referencing the final output node, in my case, the mtlxstandard_surface.
Edited by Enivob - Feb. 8, 2024 10:55:06

Attachments:
mtlxmix.gif (1.0 MB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5158 posts
The GL materialX implementation doesn't allow you to mix materials, only parameters to a single material.
3 posts
malexander
The GL materialX implementation doesn't allow you to mix materials, only parameters to a single material.
Is this planned to implemented in the future? Would be cool.
Staff
5158 posts
adro
malexander
Is this planned to implemented in the future? Would be cool.

Only by mixing the individual parameters together, since there isn't enough room in the deferred render buffer we use for multiple material sets. That will probably work for most cases, though if you blend smoothly from one to another it might look a little off.
3 posts
I understand. My goal is to create a height lerp workflow similar to Unreal Engine's one. Also attribute painting using a SOP Modify after applying the material to have a direct feedback.
  • Quick Links