Why does Houdini 16 Indie come to a crawl when I try to import an OBJ file?

2164   5   1
44 posts
Hi,

Trying to import and obj file from zbrush and Houdini has trouble recognizing it or seems to not work well. I'm waiting minutes with just trying to manipulate it. Have to basically use the task manager to quit out of the program….

Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a trick to working with OBJs from Blender/Modo or ZBrush?

Thanks in advance.
806 posts
Moin,

I am having no problems working with OBJ from modo, Blender or zBrush in Houdini.

That said - we aren't any step further, because you obviously do have issues. It might help if you could upload an obj that is giving you problems.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
44 posts
Hey Marc,

Thanks so much for replying. I was doing more tests and the last obj that I saved from MOI worked fine. It had something to do with either how it's saved out or the naming convention.

For now, I think I'm okay but will continue to do some more testing on my end.

Cheers!
182 posts
You can check how the obj “looks like” in a text editor and search for anything weird. I know that zbrush likes to save a lot of comment data for polypaint colors per face.
If it's always happening with that one OBJ and it's opening fine in other apps, then I'd send it to support and file a bug.
Edited by blackpixel - 2017年4月12日 08:29:53
スタッフ
4441 posts
The file name could be a factor if it contains non-ASCII characters. It's a pretty easy thing to test by renaming any file that doesn't work to “thisshouldwork.obj” and trying to open it again. The OS may be a factor when it comes to non-ASCII file names as well. What platform are you on?
44 posts
Thanks blackpixel and mtucker…I think I narrowed it down to what mtucker indicated. File name was the issue. Thanks for the help!
  • Quick Links