Gorilla Fur and Cloth Simulation

6672   8   2
68 posts
Hey all,
here is something I have been working on as part of one of my classes at SCAD.
The textured gorilla and walk cycle were provided to me but all of the clothes and dynamics were made by me.

The fur was made in Houdini 16

The cloth was made in Maya's N-Cloth but some of the wraps and constrains were created in Houdini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-t0H5wPbg [www.youtube.com]

I hope you enjoy
4189 posts
Nice - how are you doing the fur collision for the cloth and body? Just on the guides or the full fur.
68 posts
I Kinda cheated it a bit, I was running very short on time for my submission so I made the collision between the gorilla and his clothes in Ncloth a bit wider and then when I imported into Houdini, I use a guide length node and bend node in hair groom to control the hairs so they would not stick out of the clothes.
806 posts
> I Kinda cheated it a bit, I was running very short on time for my submission so I made the collision between the gorilla and his clothes in Ncloth a bit wider and then when I imported into Houdini, I use a guide length node and bend node in hair groom to control the hairs so they would not stick out of the clothes.

… which is a nice way of saying: I did it like a professional does and only delivered those visuals that were required, not stuff that nobody would ever see on screen anyway :-)

Well done!

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
8 posts
Bloody nice stuff there, now thats a damn good model and get up of design and character planning. Im a bit curious on the colors of the hair, seems for diverse then the simple glossy black and gray I'm used to seeing. I'm not complaining, it works and spreads a bit more life into the model.
141 posts
nice !
Sorry for my english but i learn too ^^

1 ryzen 3970X 64go
1 xeon hexacore 32go
1 i7 hexacore 16o
68 posts
@Ambercyde

so what I did was use the texture map I had on the fur to color the hair. and then I uses a paint map to specifically target the blue stripes in order have control over how bright it was
1 posts
Nice work indeed. Do you have an example of how you use a texture map? I'm also working with hair & fur for the moment and was wondering how exactely to apply such a texture map to add color to specific places.
68 posts
centinarijo
Nice work indeed. Do you have an example of how you use a texture map? I'm also working with hair & fur for the moment and was wondering how exactely to apply such a texture map to add color to specific places.

Hello Ceninarijo, in the hair shader use the material tab in the hair generation node and you can apply whatever texture you want to the fur using the hair shader. But say you would like to make a particular piece of fur lighter or darker or have a different color, what you need to do paint a group on the mesh and then use that to group to paint the highlights or darken the sections you want to edit

Apologies on the delay in response I never get notifications for some reasons on responses to the threads
  • Quick Links