How to retain attribute values on each frame

2868   5   2
6 posts
I have a character thats walking across a planar surface. And everytime it takes a step i want to leave a color there for all the spots where he steps on.

I know i can use attribTransfer to transfer the color of the character with a distance threshold on the floor below. But the moment he moves away from that spot, it goes out of the distance threshold i set in the attribTransfer and the footprint color also disappears.

How can i retain that color for every spot he stepped on.
PS: im looking at solutions which doesnt include the help of “SOP solver”. It has to be manually done by somehow retaining the character or object position in everyframe so that the color can stay. But not sure how to go about that? Any thought/ideas tat i could play with?
2624 posts
Sounds like a case for the new “ Solver” sop node. Refer to the help, there is a foot print example.

rob
Gone fishing
339 posts
You're gonna want to use either a SOP Solver or POPs for this. I think you could go the CHOPs route and bring every point of your surface in and do a max of the current sample vs previous sample, if you have a dense mesh that'll be fairly heavy though. Why are you trying to avoid the solver route?
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
Staff
3455 posts
here is a rather horrible method….

see attached file
not sure what's happening on fr23, 24…

HI JESSE!!

Attachments:
attribute_trail.hip (52.8 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
339 posts
Ho-HO, nice thinkin' Michael! Good ol' trail sop… and HOWDY!
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
6 posts
Im loving this place. Thanks everyone for the responses. And thats an interesting approach with the trail sop ill try it out.
  • Quick Links