FBX Export Import

15524   9   3
12 posts
Hello everyone. I am trying to play a little with camera mapping. I found really nice option in Houdini for this kind of work. It looks like Apprentice version doesn't have FBX export option. Is there any other way to export an animated camera from Houdini to Nuke? Thanks.
242 posts
Andrzej123
Hello everyone. I am trying to play a little with camera mapping. I found really nice option in Houdini for this kind of work. It looks like Apprentice version doesn't have FBX export option. Is there any other way to export an animated camera from Houdini to Nuke? Thanks.

One way could be to write your camera channels into a .chan file from CHOPs.

edit* did a test and it works fine.

Put down a fetch CHOP and import the camera channels you need.
Right click on it and choose save data channels. make a .chan file.

Lay down a camera in NUKE and import your channels.

Haven´t tried if it works in apprentice though.
12 posts
Thanks,
I am not into Houdini that much yet. I watch tutorial on “chops animation curve” to figure out what you told me, and after that I can't find an option to save as a *.chan file. It looks like when you dig deeper it gets more complicated.
16 posts
I didn't try the .chan export by myself but this thread mention that it's not possible with Apprentice.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18309 [sidefx.com]
1390 posts
ben4096
I didn't try the .chan export by myself but this thread mention that it's not possible with Apprentice.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=18309 [sidefx.com]

This thread doesn't mention *.chan, but the *.clip format. The reason I didn't mention it is because in fact you can export chan files from Apprentice

EDIT: Well, how embarrassed I am. Actually I did mention it, because I did check it, and discovered you can't export chan files from Apprentice. Looks like a I had a wrong impression, checked it to be sure, only to make this mistake later.

apologizes for a confusion.
221 posts
So, aside from the Apprentice version, is the .chan file from Houdini the same as the .chan format from Nuke?

I don't have Nuke, but Terragen 2 exports Nuke .chan files and I'd like to use them to move back and forth with cameras.

Can anyone confirm that .chan is the same in Nuke and in Houdini?

Dave
7722 posts
Just save out a .chan file from Houdini and compare. I wouldn't surprised that they were the same since they all were used at D2 at one point.
221 posts
Good thinking. I'll try it.
5 posts
Hi,

When I export a .chan from Nuke (camera tracking data) and import in to Houdini via chops, I get 7 channels. I'm guessing the first 6 are tx, ty, tz, rx, ry, rz. Does anyone know wha the seventh channel represents?

I thought it might be focal lneght, but that doesn't correlate with my scene.

Any thoughts are very welcome.

Cheers,

WD
330 posts
if i remember correctly ( read somewhere ) , the first number is the frame number .

6 others are .. the usual suspects .

the last fov ( for camera only ). // edit : 8th channel

.cheers

edit: link http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Nuke [wiki.blender.org]
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
  • Quick Links