Custom Icon SVG : Not all shapes appear

4686   7   0
11 posts
Hi, ive created a test-icon in Inkscape and got the *.svg working with my custom SOP node, however for some reason certain shapes in the *.svg appear in the houdini UI but others don't.

Ive made a file showing the problem.

Squares, circles and free-hand shapes seem to work but other line-objects dont - are there any rules to creating svg icons that i'm missing?

( I'm deleting the icon-cache files after replacing the *.svg in the icons folder and re-starting Houdini each time )

Attachments:
SOP_hdk_buggyicon.svg (13.6 KB)
icon_bug_.jpg (41.0 KB)

181 posts
Your test SVG looks complete when I load into Houdini as an icon. All shapes present. Maybe try exporting using one of one Inkscape's alternative SVG formats.

Some applications can have trouble displaying vector images comprised of compound paths. Flattening everything into simpler shapes can help.

11 posts
Hi, i tried the simple-svg export but the problem persists. Has this been fixed recently ? ( im currently running 13.0.237 ). Some experimentation shows that at least locally some odd stuff is going on:
The red path has had its vertex under the circle cropped and the blue path has had multiple verts cropped (even ones that aren't under other shapes).

Attachments:
icon_bug_2.jpg (35.8 KB)

7756 posts
Are you on Windows? The SVG renderer on Windows is very old and won't be able to handle everything that Inkscape produces. On Linux, it should be fine though.
11 posts
Yes i'm on Windows 7 64Bit.
Is there a way to produce icons that will work fully - use a different app to author / convert the SVGs?.
7756 posts
I think Chronon's post has the best ideas. If it doesn't show up, I don't know how you can work around this other than to not draw with those more complicated shapes … ie. build them up from simpler ones.
Staff
4177 posts
I noticed that under Windows, even native nodes could have problems. See the Voronoi Fracture.

Edward, are there plans to update the SVG library under Windows? It's obviously not as important as things like tbbmalloc issues, just curious!

Attachments:
voronoi_svg_windows.jpg (25.6 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
11 posts
I've posted a bug about this to support.
  • Quick Links