flip question

3253   8   2
9 posts
hi all,
i have several questions about flip in H13.

1. is it possible to cache flip sim first and read them from file node , use cache file to sim white water splash and foam?

2. if im working on a heavy flip simulation,
any possible to reduce loading time when im simulating splash ? (fluid has already cached.)

3. any info about H13 simple flip workflow to study?

hope someone could give me some advice or answer ?
373 posts
1) Yes. Absolutely, that's how you should be doing it. When you create a flip simulation from the shelf tools it will set up a dop i/o node. You can cache the sim to a bgeo sequence there.

2) Not really. The files are big, and take time to load. The one thing I've done is split out volumes and particles to separate files so I don't have to load everything at once.

3) There isn't much available (though I'm considering doing a flip video tutorial series). The workflow hasn't change too much since 12, so I'd suggest watching the waterfall videos from sidefx.
Ian Farnsworth
4189 posts
2. Raid drive setups are very useful herel. Cache sizes can be huge so it's very cost effective against SSDs.
9 posts
thank you for the reply guys!

its helpful!

i will check H12 tutorial first and see if ican get Raid for my sim lol
9 posts
hi! i have another question about the flip collision .

https://vimeo.com/72158370 [vimeo.com]

this is basic tutorial about flip workflow.
and i noticed that he used vbdfrompolygon to set as collision object.

does vdb calculate faster than geometry?

i tested between origin and vdb obj, and not as much faster as i expected.

am i misunderstanding about vdb ? :?
19 posts
Hi nickel,

Don't know how helpful it will be but I uploaded a video last night after doing a bit of flippy rnd.

https://vimeo.com/89257834 [vimeo.com]

Might be helpful to look at the sudden leap of file sizes and point numbers between 0.050 and 0.025 particle separation.

I rendered out the flip sim, then used those .bgeos to produce the whitewater and VDB mesh. (Which I also rendered out as separate .bgeos).

I found that once I dropped below 0.050 particle separation the load times for the .bgeos was a noticeable bottleneck so if I was working on those further I'd move those across to an SSD.

Not looked at what loads faster, VDB or Poly, I'm presuming VDB.

Hope this a little helpful
606 posts
SkippyLink
Might be helpful to look at the sudden leap of file sizes and point numbers between 0.050 and 0.025 particle separation.

When you cut the particle separation in half, the resulting resolution (in particle count and volume divisions) increases 8-fold. Your numbers seem to follow that pretty much as expected, if you compare the 0.050 -> 0.025 as well as the 0.100 -> 0.050 numbers.
9 posts
hi skippyLink ,

haha ! i was just found your vid on vimeo, and i saw this
thanks for your reply and sharing you experiment ! its really interesting !
im keep digging it !
1391 posts
About Loading Time Problem ,I Suggest you to use Linux and EX4 partition if you can ,On my system Writing and reading files on the EX4 is more faster than NTFS on the windows !
Also I have SSD drive specially for reading simulations cache files 8)

My OS Info :
OS1 : Windows7
OS2 : Linux Mint15
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
  • Quick Links