How would you do this...

15205   36   7
271 posts
Hi all,
I'll get straight to it…cell division - how would you do this?
I'm liking the finite element solver a lot, but I'm no where near familiar enough with Houdini to be able to use it properly I think.

Here a good example of the kind of thing I'm looking to replicate:
http://www.nymus3d.nl/portfolio/121 [nymus3d.nl]

Any ideas would be most welcome, as I'm a little stumped
2624 posts
Metaballs ?

Rob
Gone fishing
271 posts
I don't think metaballs would work. I essentially need one object to split apart and become two, all the while being effected by a FEM simulation so they can all squash together.
271 posts
…is there a way to get metaballs to refuse to connect at a certain point in time?

The main thing I'm having difficultly with is essentially simulating an object who's number of points is changing (due to metaball remeshing, or just general changing of the mesh). If anyone has any resources on simulating geometry while it's changing that would be a great help.
184 posts
would be nice to hear some thoughts…interesting setup!
271 posts
Looks like we're out of luck wildruf
122 posts
particlefluid surface.
271 posts
I'll look into that chevita…though, if you can give any more information about the method that would be great. Houdini is intimidating at times
207 posts
I've gotten decent “cell-like” results from projecting a sphere's points that intersects it's neighbor on to the plane of intersection between the two spheres and then smoothing the resulting mesh.

This I did in Softimage, but I see no reason why the same (or similar) could not be done in Houdini.

-T

Attachments:
bubbles.jpg (173.8 KB)

122 posts
hi, i think you would like starting making the animation by hand and then, maybe procedural.
very basic test.

Attachments:
celllikerough.hipnc (174.2 KB)

26 posts
takita
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 pm Post subject:
I've gotten decent “cell-like” results from projecting a sphere's points that intersects it's neighbor on to the plane of intersection between the two spheres and then smoothing the resulting mesh.

This I did in Softimage, but I see no reason why the same (or similar) could not be done in Houdini.

-T

Hey takita,

Nice to see you here. Could be nice if you can post a snip of your icetree . I would like to give it a shot in Houdini.

Thanks
271 posts
…and when you've had a go in Houdini, post the hip file here I'd like to try too (once I actually get Houdini working).
207 posts
When I get further along with it I'll try and post the results after I've had a proper go at it - the ICE tree is a bunch of nested operations in a single graph (mostly on account of the sorting), whereas in Houdini I think it'd be better expressed as a series of SOP nodes in a foreach or something.
99 posts
meanwhile this might be interesting

Attachments:
intersection.hip (561.1 KB)
intersection.png (265.8 KB)

207 posts
Oh nice, very clever use of Voronoi fracture!

Unfortunately we don't have none of that in SI.

Anyway, plenty to like in Houdini, so no complaints here.

cheers,

-T
122 posts
copy sop is the best!
606 posts
owlYzarc
meanwhile this might be interesting

Clever things!

Here's trying it without all the foreach business, by triangulizing and computing a dual to get all the walls in a single go. Kinda neat but needs something more to work on a nonplanar surface..

Attachments:
ee_cell_dual.hip (76.3 KB)
ee_cell_dual.jpg (125.3 KB)

99 posts
Nice!
I knew there had to be a smarter way
606 posts
owlYzarc
Nice!
I knew there had to be a smarter way

Well, I'm sure your method works much better in practice
47 posts
You might be able to get some cool effects by stretching out a volume, then meshing around it. If you had features inside the cells represented as different fields in the volume, you might see them stretch and split into two as well.
  • Quick Links