Intereractive reselection for a Group Sop - cool trick!

4197   15   1
85 posts
Hi All

Just learned a cool trick from SESI to solve a problem that has always bugged me.

If you have a group sop that has an existing selection and want to edit interactively, I have always struggled with this as pressing enter in the viewport, editing my selection and then pressing enter again will create another groupsop!?!?! Now you have to copy the selection into the old sop. Rubbish and inefficient!!

The solution is as follows:
select the group sop and press enter in the viewport, now press ` (the tilda key to the left of the number 1), your group sop will disconect and show an error but once you reselect and press enter again in the viewport, your selection will update the original sop!

Is that common knowledge? If not I hope it is useful!
Sam Swift-Glasman
Art Director
Five AI
8594 posts
glassman3d
Is that common knowledge? If not I hope it is useful!

it should be, but it never hurts to spread the knowledge
it works for any SOP which accepts selection pattern from viewport not only Group SOP and it's very useful indeed

the tool is located in Select menu/Reselect For Current Tool or ` as a shortcut
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
85 posts
thanks for the tip Tomas!

you know I can't remember the last time I used a menu in Houdini, maybe I should have a look at what other little gems are holed up in there!
Sam Swift-Glasman
Art Director
Five AI
333 posts
that should be common knowledge tbh
85 posts
oh no! It's just me then?

ops:
Sam Swift-Glasman
Art Director
Five AI
333 posts
no i'm sure its not just you cause i didnt see this option for a long time when i started learning houdini too! it sure is kind of hidden and not being mentioned a lot in the learning material.
181 posts
Thanks for the handy tip.

A feature that long escaped my attention is the ability to restrict a selection to only front-facing polygons. Right-click on the geometry selection palette icon to reveal its options, or tap the hotkey to cycle through the available modes:

333 posts
another handy shortcut:
page up and page down to select above/below connected node.
if there is 2 inputs you can use shift-pageup/down to switch to the other side.

in viewport you can also press p to open a window and get access to the sop's parameters.
2624 posts
Dam there goes another Houdini secret …….

r
Gone fishing
85 posts
wow all fantastic tips thanks everyone!!!
Sam Swift-Glasman
Art Director
Five AI
122 posts
Hi, i can not use the reselect tool. nor “`” nor select menu. i am using H 13076 ops:
maybe a bug
333 posts
do you have a US keyboard? please assign your custom shortcut if not.

also make sure you're in the active tool mode and not in selection mode or anything. if you go to selection mode or switch to any other mode while doing the reselection it wont work.

this can be accessed via menu left click on the selection tool and select “reselect for current tool”
122 posts
hi.
i am using a laptop.
I'm kinda lost in “hotkey manager” could tell me how to setup properly
thanks
Edited by - May 12, 2014 19:28:01
Staff
5161 posts
Chronon
A feature that long escaped my attention is the ability to restrict a selection to only front-facing polygons.

The “Area Select Visible Geometry Only” option above it also gives you the ability to select only top level polygons (and points, vertices, edges, etc). It is often more useful than Select Front-Facing Polygons, but you need GL3 in order to use it.
333 posts
chevita.
hi.
i am using a laptop.
I'm kinda lost in “hotkey manager” could tell me how to setup properly
thanks

right click on the selection tool. on the very bottom there will be “Reselect for current Tool”
you can then hold ctrl -alt - shift while you click on this entry. The Hotkey Manager will open and there you can change it to your needs.
122 posts
Doudini
I'm thrilled. Finally I see how it works.
And I owe it to you, thank you very much.

• Quick Links