[SOLVED]Ocean Render Does Not Match Viewport? (.piclc bug)

2470   2   0
2537 posts
Hi All,

Extreme noob here asking a question that may have been answered before. I CTRL-Click to lay down an Ocean and then setup a camera. When I render, however, the result of the render does not look like my viewport.

What is going on here?
How would I plan any kind of animation if the resulting render does not look ike my viewport?
Edited by - Nov. 30, 2014 13:38:19

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 11.03.57 AM.png (319.8 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
69 posts
I don't have houdini open right now, but you need to use the node at the end of the ocean spectrum to write out a displacement map. The renderer uses that instead of the mesh. The mesh is a low resolution proxy so you can tweak your settings.
2537 posts
Thanks for the hint.

I watched this video for more info. Mainly connecting the Fetch node to the input of the Mantra node.
https://vimeo.com/84903041 [vimeo.com]

However, there is a bug in this workflow.

It seems that Houdini Indie writes out files in the form of .piclc instead of .pic.

This means the path to the displacement maps setup by the shelf tools is invalid for Indie users. You have to select the Ocean Volume shader in the SHOP network, locate the Displacement Map field under the Displacement tab and manually change the extension of the displacement map from .pic to .piclc. I wonder if Apprentice has the same problem with .picnc?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links