Newbie just arriving

3729   5   2
15 posts
Hi there,

I'm just another shipwrecked Softimage user seeking shelter and a warm meal. But first of all I would like to find out where all those interesting sample scenes are hidden which I would like to study.

With Modo came a 2GB asset file, Softimage got a lot of sample scenes and I'm sure Houdini welcomes all indies with something similar. Probably my lungs are still full of water and my head a bit dizzy, so any clue or hint where I can find these scenes would be more than welcome.

Cherrio!
Tom
Staff
3455 posts
aside from all the tutorials - see links under Learning, the documentation has some quick start guides and you can find example files in the help card for all the nodes…just place a node in the scene and open the help - most nodes have examples at the bottom of the page
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
15 posts
Aha, thanks for the tip!
Staff
476 posts
I remember at first when I was trying to find where the example .hip files were, I could only find about 10 hip files in the whole installation.

You have to search for .otl files and you should find about 500 example files in $HFS/houdini/help/examples folder.

I find it easier to use the formatted documentation from the “Help/Example Files” menu than to load the otl files manually using the ‘Assets/Install Asset Library’ menu.
Staff
4170 posts
Yeah, what Guillaume said about finding them via the help docs is the best. There is a page that has all of them by category; and if you open it from within Houdini (not from www.sidefx.com, but from http://127.0.0.1:48626/ [127.0.0.1] or something like that), you can click load and it'll toss those examples in your Houdini session.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/examples/ [sidefx.com]
I'm o.d.d.
67 posts
Hi!

If you open houdini, you will find on the right top corner a button. once you press it, the docs will open on the right side of your layout.

Now if you search for something like “revolve”, you will find some examples at the bottom of the page. You can Load them into a new scene, or Launch them into a new houdini session.

Stick with it, it takes some time to get used to but will pay off!

Best,
Cris
  • Quick Links