Cookie SOP? Where is the love?

14487   32   2
166 posts
Wow I'm glad this thread sparked into something. Nice work on the polyreduce Neil

Any news on if Cookie is fixable? I mean, it is our only non-volume source for booleans, so it is quite a big one.. Not to say that it is easy, I'd just be glad knowing it was being looked at.
4515 posts
MagnusL3D
Well the Dissolve SOP issue I filed several weeks ago so hopefully it is already in your database, but to be on the safe side I attached it and put it in the bug/RGE page aswell

Regarding RFE options. I mean, like a master dropdown with bug/RFE as the two options. So it is clear that you are submitting a RFE.

And perhaps rename RFE to Feature Request because everyone might not know what RFE means. Specialy new people with lots of new viewpoints and ideas.

What's the Dissolve SOP issue? I submitted one for performance.

I always prefix my RFE submissions with the word RFE i.e.:
RFE: expandgroup VEX function
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1104 posts
pusat
What's the Dissolve SOP issue? I submitted one for performance.
Well when you use it with edge's that should not dissolve it breaks down on certain polygons. And it feels very..uhm..angled based if it breaks down or not.. I've attached a file so you can view it. (and as a RFE it would be nice to have a hole option in the Dissolve SOP).

pusat
I always prefix my RFE submissions with the word RFE i.e.:
RFE: expandgroup VEX function

Yes you can do that, but I just think it would be more inviting to have the actual option there but hey it's just a opinion.

Attachments:
Cookie_Dissolve2.hiplc (53.6 KB)

/M

Personal Houdini test videos, http://vimeo.com/magnusl3d/ [vimeo.com]
4515 posts
MagnusL3D
Well when you use it with edge's that should not dissolve it breaks down on certain polygons. And it feels very..uhm..angled based if it breaks down or not.. I've attached a file so you can view it. (and as a RFE it would be nice to have a hole option in the Dissolve SOP).

I see that's a different issue.

MagnusL3D
Yes you can do that, but I just think it would be more inviting to have the actual option there but hey it's just a opinion.

I don't disagree with you
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
471 posts
hello guys…
so with this explains, how can we understand to houdini about create point on Meeting point of two geometry?
i don't fine any expression or vex node about that so in this case we need to HDK?
thanks.

Attachments:
Problem.jpg (137.8 KB)

471 posts
hello guys…
so with this explains, how can we understand to houdini about create point on Meeting point of two geometry?
i don't fine any expression or vex node about that so in this case we need to HDK?
thanks.

Attachments:
Problem.jpg (137.8 KB)

606 posts
NimaNolan
hello guys…
thanks.

Isn't that just what Cookie SOP does, in crease mode?

Attachments:
ee_crease.hip (54.0 KB)
ee_crease.jpg (96.3 KB)

471 posts
your project cause me for have serious look to this tab of cookie node.
thank for ee_crease_295 project.
seems this tool not have bugs like boolean tab but cookie have some problem specially in real time boolean for create nice animation.
What other way do we have for this with out using cookie node?
i using Intersect vex function but it work with primitive and it haven't edge detection.
very thanks.
1799 posts
That is definitely the cookie sop you want to use you can also use the solidify sop In h14 I believe to do something like this
-G
1799 posts
If you are only looking for a boundary shape like in your screen, how about volume break?
-G
471 posts
thank you grayOlorin.
i know that we can use volume to do that but using volume destroy detail of our geometry also often you need to keep your original geometry too.
i use volume just for detecting witch point in our geometry and witch is not.
but in this case we need an idea for understand to houdini:
how can we do that with VEX?i know that we can done that with volume node but as i said before for keep high level of detail we need very high volume model so it can be really slow!!!
thanks.
25 posts
If your intersecting geometry has a very basic shape you could create a curve with the outline of your geometry and project it on the other piece of geometry.
471 posts
Doodlez
If your intersecting geometry has a very basic shape you could create a curve with the outline of your geometry and project it on the other piece of geometry.
i check behavior of cookie sop. nearest Order to that from VEX is Intersect.
see two image for that one for cookie and one for simple VEX intersecting.
as you can see cookie in first interaction between two object create new point and after that point just create new point on each edge of your intersecting object(in this image sphere).
so in VEX intersect function we need to understand houdini when and where create new point.(simple intersect is very good for car accident if you don't want to have massive cloth simulation for deforming car…)
in this case i use red color for border edge but color maybe haven't high precision for houdini to distinguish intersect area.
so we can use environment of each primitive and i think it's high precision way to understanding houdini for create new point.(each intersect cause to environment of same primitive start to change)
i still working on that and i think above Description good for start…
thanks.

Attachments:
Intersecting.jpg (107.8 KB)
Cookie.png (168.1 KB)

• Quick Links