what GPU to buy?

15198   24   2
1621 posts
But standalone Renderman works as usual in Indy doesn't it?

No 3rd party rendering for Indie. That's the deal.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
636 posts
Chrizto
I think SideFX will loose A LOT of customers if Indie Customers are forced into using only Mantra and not standalone or plugin 3rd party renderers…

(Mantra is a great renderer, but it's as old as most people in here's moms (not as old as my mom though)…
:roll:

the concept of mantra with vex was and is the way to go. because vex gets compiled with llvm it's just a matter of time till it get's a opencl support and then a lot of nodes will be also gpu supported on the fly. i hope that opencl 2.0 will be the api that can be used for vex but i'm not 100% sure. you also can see that the last couple of years all efforts for new nodes in houdini has shifted to vex, only the core nodes and functions are c++.

btw. opensl uses also llvm for the compilation of the shader code so it's today the way to go. not bad for a mom :-)
66 posts
I've worked as a software developer using C++ for many years and lately also used alot of LLVM. This does not mean that thing's are “just around the corner”.

I love Mantra! Vex is also very powerful, and a lot like doing a strange form of C programming or something, so I'm a happy camper… C was my first language.

“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
66 posts
SreckoM
Not it will not lose users at all. Really I fail to see why that might happen.

And saying Mantra is old … that is plain ignorance. Your knowledge might not be good enough.

Are you a fool or just pretending to be one?
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
379 posts
As I thought …
  • Quick Links