Last Application to Learn

2640   7   1
28 posts
Well, I've been doing CGI since 1995. Learned all the major apps except Houdini.

I've been given the greenlight to learn Houdini on the job (since I'm primarily a Maya TD) to help integrate the two packages.

We are on centOS and I am not sure Houdini 14 is running default shelves etc.

First tutorial I am doing requires me to create particles from a circle.

Only problem is that creating particles is nowhere in sight.

Not on the shelves. Not using TAB and starting to type in the node /obj view.

It is like it doesn't exist. I can't add the menu to the shelves because in the popup list I see everything except for particles.

Just basically want to reset to defaults but can't seem to find an easy way in the UI.

Do I just delete prefs somewhere in the /opt/hfs14.0.444 folders?

Any info appreciated.
637 posts
i' not on linux but normaly houdini makes a folder under: /home/USERNAME/houdini14/
delete it or rename it and when you start houdini it creates the default setup folder (houdini14) for the user.
then the shelves should be again reseted.

if the shelfs are still not existing check if you have started the houdini FX and not the basic houdini because that version has no fx stuff (particles, fluids, …).
181 posts
Also, make sure you're running full Houdini FX (or Apprentice or Indie). The binary labeled as plain “Houdini” lacks some particle and dynamics capabilities.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=219&Itemid=382 [sidefx.com]
28 posts
Yes, it was the launcher chosen. The IT guy used a custom application launcher and picked Houdini escape version I think.

Though when I started Houdini Master it didn't give me the items I needed.

Found the prefs and deleted them and then upon restart everything looked as it should and functioned as expected.

Thank you.
28 posts
OOps nope. Scratch that. It was fine again last night now… this morning.

No particles. Says its Houdin FX version. Even though I am using Houdini master launcher..

No particles anywhere.

Yet last night before I left the same launcher started a version that had everything.

I just deleted the prefs again and no particles again.

Something is up.
28 posts
I think I know what is happening. That no matter which launcher I am using there is another Houdini Master open somewhere in the facility. Which uses the Master license and then it jumps to the Houdini Escape license which is the only other one available.

These are all version 14 builds. I think I will install 15 and use Apprentice for learning that way I wont grab escape or the Master licenses needed.
333 posts
on linux i recommend starting houdini from a terminal.

source in your user .bashrc

# Houdini Source
cd /opt/hfs15.0.347/
source houdini_setup
cd -

you can start apprentice with “happrentice”
1743 posts
Careful, that might break the terms of your license.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
  • Quick Links