Handheld Camera Effect

7332   8   0
21 posts
Hi

I am trying to give my camera in Houdini a handheld effect and was wondering what the best way would be to go about this.

Normally I would have added noise to a null and linked the camera target to the null but I'm not making any progress in how to translate that to Houdini.

The other option would be to write an expression in the translate parameters of the null and set the camera to look at the null but I am hopeless at expressions.

Any ideas would be great to hear.

Thanks

N
2561 posts
You can make a camera the child of a NULL. In the Y-AXIS of the Null try this expression.
fit01(rand($T%240),0.2,0.5)
The random generator produces a number in the range of 0-1. The fit function remaps that result to a new range, in this case 0.2-0.5. $T is time modulus 240. Play with the numbers to dial in the effect.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
3455 posts
for a little more flexibility (and fun!)
make the camera a child of a null and on the translate parameter RMB and select Motion FX > Noise
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
21 posts
Enivob - thanks for your explanation, it really helps to know what each part of the expression means.

Arctor - That's the functionality I was looking for !

I need to test both of these approaches out.
2624 posts
For that type of effect I think its far better to render overscan and apply in comp. Unless its something super specific

Rob
Gone fishing
21 posts
When you say overscan do you mean rendering it bigger then crop it in in comp ?
2624 posts
overscan is basically rendering for instance 50 pixels on top of your resolution , outside the camera viewing area. So in post you can shift the image as you have that spare 50 pixels.

Rob
Gone fishing
21 posts
Ok thanks Rob.

I am using the apprentice version so I am locked to 720p, I think I will invest in the Indi version soon for the extra res.

Personally I would rather not bake in camera shake so I think I will air on the side of caution especially when the renders are taking so long to get rid of the noise.
2 posts
Thank you so much goldfarb Motionfx did the trick. Camera Looks handheld using the Alligator Noise.
  • Quick Links