Does Houdini 15 steal focus on Windows?

5356   14   2
4515 posts
I thought it was something else but when Houdini main window is in the background and I have Chrome on top of it completely covering the screen, the Houdini window pops up.

This kind of thing sometimes happen but very rarely, but I see this happening dozens of times an hour.

Anyone else has seen this with H15?
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
2537 posts
I see the opposite on my system, using Firefox. Sometimes when Houdini has focus and I click on Firefox it pops forward then drops back again. I usually have to click on it a couple of times before focus actually sticks.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
6 posts
Upgrade to Windows 10, problems solved.
118 posts
I have the same problem in Win7, Houdini 15.5480 keeps stealing focus when I'm on Chrome.
It's pretty annoying.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
Edited by Andr1 - June 9, 2016 09:28:57
4515 posts
I am still seeing this issue. It would be nice to have a fix. It also happens to me while using Chrome.

I minimize all Houdini windows to avoid this but it's a hassle.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

2537 posts
It also happens on OSX so upgrading to a new OS probably won't fix an application bug.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
4515 posts
Ignore the guy who suggested to upgrade to Win10, he is a troll.

I have a strong feeling that this might be happening when the mouse goes outside the bounds of Chrome and onto Houdini's visible windows. I am using a tablet so it's possible that my cursor goes outside chrome for a split second and then Houdini forces itself to be in focus. I am not sure but this is a possibility.

Staff
1255 posts
I haven't run into the window stealing focus problem so it's difficult for me to suggest anything.

But if you are able to find reproducible test steps (or a pattern maybe?) then I can definitely help out and investigate the issue.

Cheers,
Rob
4515 posts
Thanks Rob. The best I can tell is which happens very often without fail is leaving Houdini open on a dual screen monitor, one for the main app window and the other window is a floating pane for the viewport covering the second monitor. If you open a chrome window on top of Houdini and use it with a wacom tablet, it should happen.

I will try to narrow it down further this weekend.

EDIT: I just tried it and it happens whether you use a mouse or a tablet. And the step to reproduce is to move your mouse to this second non-main window which is a floating pane that contains the viewport and then back onto the area where chrome is, network editor should appear on top within seconds.
Edited by animatrix_ - June 11, 2016 18:54:25

4189 posts
On OsX ‘Keep Floating Windows on top’ has some of these symptoms.
Staff
1255 posts
pusat
EDIT: I just tried it and it happens whether you use a mouse or a tablet. And the step to reproduce is to move your mouse to this second non-main window which is a floating pane that contains the viewport and then back onto the area where chrome is, network editor should appear on top within seconds.

I gave this a try and still couldn't reproduce.

However I tested on Mac OSX since that's what's readily available to me. Tested with the “Keep Floating Windows on Top” preference turned on and also turned off.

I'll track down a Windows setup here and give it another go…
118 posts
I can confirm that the issue is still present in 15.5.632 and Windows10 (i'm also running with two monitors)
620 posts
I have reproduced it. Let Houdini background, put a window (such as explorer) foreground. Move cursor above any Houdini Tool Button and waiting for tooltip. Houdini will go foreground with tooltip popup.
4515 posts
It looks like SESI fixed this bug:

Houdini 16.0.654
Fixed a Windows-only bug where the main Houdini window would sometimes pop up in front of other application windows even when Houdini is not the active application.

118 posts
this is very welcome !!
Edited by Andr1 - July 6, 2017 03:37:11
  • Quick Links