Interactively create primitives

2145   4   0
50 posts
Is it possible to interactively create objects in Houdini? I looked around the internet and inside houdini but couldn't find anything. Would be nice to be able to snap between specific points to create the base object. I can get around it with other tools but not in all cases.
50 posts
No, i am not trying to retopo something. Think of how 3ds max creates objects by default, you drag out the primitive.
For example with cylinders. First you would drag from point A to point B to define the radius and then “up” to define the height.
7771 posts
The viewport allows interactive creation. Hit a shelf button, or select a tool from the tab menu while in the viewport to activate an interactive tool. None of the tools will work like max, but they do have handles that let you resize or reposition the shape. Tools like the box tool have dragable corners to set the vertices where you want. Sometimes you need to go down to geometry level to access the creation tool, as the object handle will be visible when creating at object level. You can do this by hitting the ‘i’ key with the object selected. Then the handle specific to the current geometry node will be active. Most tools don't have fancy specific handles like the box tool, but will remap functions from the generic transform handle to parameters on the specific nodes. For example the tube tool will map scale x and scale y to radius 1 and 2, and scale z will map to height.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics [www.sidefx.com]
50 posts
I have played around with Houdini before and I am aware of those features, except for x and y being mapped to the radii - cool. I understand that Houdini is totally none traditional, I just wanted to check if that feature is a part of houdini. Guess i`ll have to fiddle a little bit when needed.
Thanks for both answers, though!
  • Quick Links