Editor for vex in wrangle nodes

10024   7   2
2042 posts
Hello,

Anyone happen to know to how to use a text editor ( whether it's Houdinis' with ctrl + e or an external one).

I find I often have to add alot of return keypresses at the end of my code to expand the view size and then actually pull down and out on the parameter window that has the viewer in order to see a larger section of code. Then when done, have to re-adjust back to what I had the window sizes at.

Would be much nicer if we could just open to a much larger view to work on the code without having to do alot of adjusting like I can with something like opening a sublime text file, and when done have it go back to what it was at the start.

Thinking of doing an RFE, but if there already is way to do this I don't know.
242 posts
There is a env variable and from the top of my head I think its called VISUAL.
Edited by mawi - March 18, 2017 16:17:30
2042 posts
Hi mawi,

Thanks for your attempt to help.

But…VISUAL…does not work. It only works in conjunction with an existing code window brought up with ctrl + e.

With a vex wrangle node code window ctrl + e doesn't do anything. So you can't use Houdinis' native editor nor an external editor which VISUAL would be pointing to.
Edited by BabaJ - March 18, 2017 17:10:24
86 posts
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/24417-edit-code-snippet-directly-in-sublime/ [forums.odforce.net]
— dedeks 3000 —
2042 posts
Thanks dedeks3000 for that link.

The guy mentioned alt + e e (the extra e for getting to external editor).

Just using one e with alt gives you Houdini.

This is interesting because when I read that I thought, what?…I use ctrl + e and he is using alt + e.

The funny thing is that in say a regular paramater text box both ctrl + e and alt + e work.

But only alt + e works with the wrangle node in its vex window; Alt + e + e for external also works.

Thanks again dedek. I think I will run this by support as a bug as it seems like they intended for both to work as ctrl + e doesn't have any inherent default purpose. ( doesn't do anything at all ).
Edited by BabaJ - March 18, 2017 19:20:42
8 posts
The second E is the shortcut within the Houdini Editor, it's launched the external editor.

Additionally,

Adding:

VISUAL = “C:\Program Files\Sublime Text 3\sublime_text.exe”

To my houdini.env worked perfectly.

ALT E E now fires up SublimeText 3, with my script in place for editing.
Edited by Calx - Aug. 9, 2017 02:57:07
2042 posts
Yeah..alt e e works…should have realized that and not insist on using ctrl e e.

Utlimately though I wanted mixed features of both Houdini editor and the external editor; Which I think is unrealistic to expect, although I'm pretty sure if I dug into it a bit could come up with some macro and or delve into the hdk?

Would be nice to be able to have the same type of ‘apply’ feature through sublime that updates the code in the wrangle.

Right now (which I am fine with) it's a matter of copying and pasting. Very minor inconvenience, but would be nice.
8 posts
I wouldn't give up on that - I'm using this [packagecontrol.io], which was obviously developed with a “compile_and_run.py” to do exactly what you want. It's all here [github.com], thought doesnt seem to be part of the package via Package Control.
Edited by Calx - Aug. 9, 2017 03:26:47

Attachments:
STH.png (75.1 KB)

• Quick Links